Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out ride this weekend it was raining, a few miles into the ride the chain starts to slip on the cassette. Didn't seem to be ghost shifting, just slipping, but only while on the small chainring. Drove me nuts until the sun came out, then it stopped slipping.

Tried barrel adjustments, didn't seem to make any difference. Shifted fine once it dried up.

Drivetrain is not very old, 1200 miles or so, not counting riding the trainer, so less than 2000 miles anyway.

Anyone ever had a problem like this?

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Can you describe this further? Was the drivetrain under a heavy load / pressure when the slipping occurred? Was it only on the smallest cog? Did it have anything to do with shifting, or was the chain just slipping on the cog?

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Measure your chain

hogleg62 said:
Started out ride this weekend it was raining, a few miles into the ride the chain starts to slip on the cassette. Didn't seem to be ghost shifting, just slipping, but only while on the small chainring. Drove me nuts until the sun came out, then it stopped slipping.
The water is acting as a lubricant. Measure your chain to see if it has elongated more than 1/16" in 24 links (12" original length). If yes, you should replace it, and may need to replace the cassette as well. If the chain shows minimal elongation, then you should suspect the cassette, even though it doesn't have too many miles on it. Since cassettes are something you'll have to replace at some point, you could consider buying a new one to see if this solves the problem. Alternatively, if everything works for you in dry weather, then just stay out of the rain :)

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Also, have you tried just loosening your rear wheel QR and giving her a little smack against the floor to make sure it's REALLY in there?

It's pretty easy -- especially if you put the rear wheel in on a stand or something -- to get it MOST of the way in the dropout, but not quite right...

Otherwise, what Kerry said.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. V, good question. It was under load, only while climbing, and it seemed to only slip in the middle range on the rear cassette, and the small chainring. It did not seem to have anything to do with shifting.

I did put on a new chain and I plan to stay out of the rain as well!!

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Missed the point?

hogleg62 said:
I did put on a new chain and I plan to stay out of the rain as well!!
If the cassette is worn, replacing the only the chain will actually aggravate the problem. Typically the chain and cassette wear together, and the only time you see this problem is when you install a new chain on an old cassette, so your situation was a little unusual. The fact that only the middle cogs were skipping suggests that these are the cogs that you ride in the most, and therefore are the most worn. Only happening in the small chainring was probably because this is where you were applying the most force.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Just for my own information, can a chain "slip?"

I don't doubt what you're saying, but I can't imagine how water could make a chain "slip." Water could affect a friction drive, like a belt over a pulley, but howzit going to bother a chain running over a cog? Or am I misinterpreting "slip?"

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cory - Slip may not be the best word given a chain and cog scenario. But the chain was not rubbing laterally or shifting gears it would seemingly jump up and then slam down onto the same cog on the cassette.

Kerry Irons - I'm afraid that may be the case but I'm going to give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.