Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had quite a scare today. I was going downhill about 15 mph on my Soma Rush (44:14) when SNAP! I heard the chain break. I felt all kind of awkward chain snagging going on and slowed with my front break to a stop without crashing. I was waiting for the wheel to lock at any minute. I was sure that the chain had got into the spokes and I was going OTB at any moment. Once I stopped, I look down to confirm that my chain was gone. Yep, no chain. I looked back 10-20 yards expecting to see a loose chain on the ground. No chain. I took a closer look at my rear cog and found that the chain has wrapped around the cog! It really scratched the krap out of my frame as well. I had to take the wheel off to remove the chain, which was badly twisted and mangled. I was able to coast home most of the way. Scary! Maybe the chain was loose and came off during a bumpy descent.

·
hello
3,395 Posts
Having no lockring might have prevented the frame damage. Of course, I say this because you're running a brake and have a sure way of slowing and stopping.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it was scary. The frame, cog, spokes, hub all appear to be in good shape. The losers in this fight were the chain and the paint / chainstays. I've never seen a chain that mangled and bent in so many places. On a freewheel bike, when the chain snaps the chain usually falls innocently off the bike.

Any suggestions on how to seal the scratches to avoid rust?

Also, forgot to mention that the scratches on the frame were as high up as the cross-beam where the rear brake would mount. I'm glad to chain didn't catch my leg!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've used clear nail polish to seal scratches on old steel frames that got scratched - but that's a pretty basic - utilitarian approach. I like having a few scars on the bike...
I'm sure some folks would suggest sanding and then priming and the re-painting - blah, blah, blah...

S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.