Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting very anoying.

I've busted two chains already, so I decided to go for buff-ness. I bought a street BMX chain, the super sexy one that is all half links.

The think looks hot, and is super buff. I don't have to worry about taking the full force of a fall on my knee or nether-regions any more.

But it seems that I have stretched the hell out of this thing. Every time I ride, after just a few miles through the city, I can feel play in the chain. I've got a chain tug that I've had to buy longer bolts for. When I get my pay check I'm going to buy a pro chain tool (because this thing broke both of my regular chain tools) so that I can start taking half links out.

Can anyone recommend to me a chain that might work better? Something buff that i don't have to worry about pulling apart, but something that doesn't stretch as badly as this?

When I first posted about getting this chain, someone said something about BMX chains stretching a lot. Seems that they were correct, at least as far as this one goes.

thanks,

joe

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
After a few miles? Not likely. It's more likely that the play is coming from not tightening the wheel enough, worn out cog or chainring, or some disaster-waiting-to-happen frame related issue. If the chainring or cog is worn, no amount of tension in the world will take all the play out of the chain. It's a good idea to replace all drive train components at the same time. Also, using old/worn pieces with your chain will wear out the chain pretty quickly, but not in a few miles.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
What Dave said....also Double Double check that your wheel isn't scooting forward.

If not try a full bushing 1/8th track chain. Izumi ESH, Izumi Model V, HKK Vertex (If you can find one that's not going for 100 bucks),...or even some of the less expensive Izumi bushing chains.

Thats as stout as you can get....IMO. I tend to feel new chains break in a bit at first, but should be ok after that.

A half link chain could stretch in theory as the plates aren't straight point to point and could be bent out with tension. I seriously doubt thats the case however. Normal chains get longer (stretch) via wear at the pins, plates, or bushings. So higher quality chains normally have harder parts that last longer.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Chains don't stretch. If you have too much chain tension, the bushings will wear out prematurely. It sounds to me like you are using too much chain tension

Think that may be it. Didn't even cross my mind.

I'll go through it tonight and re-adjust.

Thanks!

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ChuckUni said:
If you run your chain like this you will feel some back and forth play. I think that's a bit too loose for street...or at least as loose as I would ever ride it.

It's that back and forth that drives me nuts. I try to keep it with as little as possible (which would explain the over tightening) plas as I can.

Chuck:

How do you run your chain? Is it straight across, just not pulled tight, or is there a little bit of a dip in it?

joe

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
It's that back and forth that drives me nuts. I try to keep it with as little as possible (which would explain the over tightening) plas as I can.

Chuck:

How do you run your chain? Is it straight across, just not pulled tight, or is there a little bit of a dip in it?

joe
On my rush hour I try to run it about when you grab it in the middle of the chain stay you can move it up and down about an inch...maybe a bit less. That bike has a perfectly round chainwheel so it's fine that way....no tight spot It doesn't bind, I can spin the wheel (watch yer fingers) and it turns for a while. From a far it looks straight across, if you look closely you can see some slack.

The other bike had a loose and tight spot. I ran the tight spot about the same and the loose spot more slack. IMO run it about as tight as you can without binding. The wheel should turn and spin freely.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
An all-half-link chain might indeed stretch. Normal ones won't, but all-halfs could, by straightening the kinks in each plate by a little bit.

The slack pictured is more than I like, to run, but IMO chain tugs are an invitation to too much tension. I tension mine to appear straight, but can move it up or down 1/4" or so (1/2" total) vertical movement without hard pushing. I use a QR, so it's simply pull back and swing it tight.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What you need is a KMC 410 H heavy plate BMX chain. Most guys on track are using them. all chains will stretch but stretching isnt from torque as most people assume. A "stretched" chain means the rollers are worn.

In referal to tention you should have half an inch of up and down at proper tention. Otherwise your going to wear the **** outta your cogs and rings.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Wasting Watts.

Otherwise your going to wear the **** outta your cogs and rings.
. . . and also divert a lot of muscular power to overcoming extra drive train friction. Most chains I see on street fixies are way too tight. You can hear them groan and creak pitifully across the chainwheel and cog.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i just got a kmc 710 chain form my trials bike.. the bike shop gets them for about 6.50

its a very solid chain.. i think they will sell it for about 15 or so.. maybe more with makrup.

its a bmx "grind" chain..

and as far as that 1/2 link chanin.. no, those expensive ones are real tough.. (says the best bmx rider at college)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.