Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have over 17,000 miles on my Colnago Dream. In the last couple of weeks I've had 3 instances of chain suck. All three have been from shifting from the big chainring to the small one while in 7th or 8th gear on the rear cassette.

I have never had this problem before on this bike. I took it in for a major overhaul last week then took it out for a ride yesterday only to have another instance of chain suck. I did not mention it to the mechanic because he's really good about checking for chain and component wear.

Why would a chain suck problem all of a sudden surface on a trusty steed like this bike? Are my components worn out?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
il sogno said:
I have over 17,000 miles on my Colnago Dream. In the last couple of weeks I've had 3 instances of chain suck. All three have been from shifting from the big chainring to the small one while in 7th or 8th gear on the rear cassette.

I have never had this problem before on this bike. I took it in for a major overhaul last week then took it out for a ride yesterday only to have another instance of chain suck. I did not mention it to the mechanic because he's really good about checking for chain and component wear.

Why would a chain suck problem all of a sudden surface on a trusty steed like this bike? Are my components worn out?
Usually a dirty drivetrain...maybe a worn out jockey wheel? Something is not allowing the chain to move freely. Bring it back to the LBS and let them look at it.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Usually a dirty drivetrain...maybe a worn out jockey wheel? Something is not allowing the chain to move freely. Bring it back to the LBS and let them look at it.
The chain's getting caught up on the underside of the small front chainring and the chainstay.

I thought it was cause of the dirty drive train but the mechanic cleaned everything.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
il sogno said:
The chain's getting caught up on the underside of the small front chainring and the chainstay.

I thought it was cause of the dirty drive train but the mechanic cleaned everything.
worn cassette/chainring? Sticky link in the chain?

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
clm2206 said:
Will not help to fix the issue, but you should install a Deda Dog Fang to avoid scratchs on the cahinstays.
Dog Fangs, chain watchers and the like are good, but they only combat the chain dropping off from the top; chain suck (usually caused by worn rings) brings the chain up from the bottom when you attempt a shift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.