Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is a noob question, but how tight do I want to keep my chain on my SS 29er? Seemed loose today after a ride so I tightened up a bit, but didn't know how tight was proper.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Assuming you're running without a chain tensioner, as with a fixie (a SS can use a tensioner, which eliminates the issue), you basically want it tight enough so the chain won't ever be thrown off, and loose enough so it doesn't bind and create unnecessary resistance and wear. That translates to "a little bit of sag" in the top run of the chain -- maybe a quarter-inch of droop or a bit less. On a fixie you can test for drag by spinning the wheel on a workstand, but that doesn't work with a freewheel.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCavilia said:
Assuming you're running without a chain tensioner, as with a fixie (a SS can use a tensioner, which eliminates the issue), you basically want it tight enough so the chain won't ever be thrown off, and loose enough so it doesn't bind and create unnecessary resistance and wear. That translates to "a little bit of sag" in the top run of the chain -- maybe a quarter-inch of droop or a bit less. On a fixie you can test for drag by spinning the wheel on a workstand, but that doesn't work with a freewheel.
It's a cassette...the play was a couple inches...it has these tuggers on the back that are supposed to keep the axle in place, but wondering if they slipped.

pic of the setup--not mine, but same setup

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I have one of those Redline ones on my fixie.

I keep my fixie chain not tight, but almost taut and no real sag.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use a a chaintug to tweak the tension too. Becuase the chainring and freewheel won't be perfeclty round you need to be carefull. I like to put the bike on the rack, snug the wheel on and use the chaintug like what you have to pull the wheel out untill it's just right. I like just a slight amount of sag as I look down the chainline, maybe 1-2mm at the tightest point. That way it won't get tossed and you won't loose any efficiency. If it's tight, it will bind and will create resistance.

It always helps to make sure the chainring is centered as best as you can get it. I just snug the chainring bolts then hit it around with a rubber mallet untill it looks centered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.