Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. Just got my first SS, and wondering how do I know when the chain is properly tensioned? Use the "deflection test"? (eg. push on the top of the chain and it dips by 1/2"... or whatever is the proper distance.)

And how long do ya think it'll be before I toss the freewheel and try fixed??? (I'm already mentally preparing my wife to fund the switch...) :D

Thanks, all!

BozemanboB

· Registered
85 Posts
i like about a 1/4 inch of lateral movement in my chain. any more and i get nervous. any less and the drivetrain makes funny noises.

regarding the free to fixed conversion. can you consider exchanging your new rear hub/wheel for a fixed/free double sided hub? that would allow you to change at your leasure and avoid backlash from the misses.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
As for the chain tension -- it's especially important it doesn't get too slack if you DO go fixed, since it's much more likely to come off during, um, anti-pedalling to pedalling transitions.

As for "prepping your wife for the cost," dude, how much does a flip-flop wheel cost? Just get that, sell the one you've got, and then you have both...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.