Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an advantage to mixing a Dura Ace chain with Ultegra. Is this even recommended? I remember reading something about Shimano not reccomending mixing, but i don't see what the difference could be as long as everything is nine speed.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
It's fine. I do it all the time. Usually the D/A is only slightly more expensive than the Ultegra chains, plus it's lighter and seems to shift better. Plus is feels good just to say "Dura Ace". :)

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Mixing is fine - you'll get the most bang for your buck if you go D/A on the parts that make the biggest difference in performace and/or weight (e.g. shifters, crankset) and Ultegra on more 'expendable' parts (e.g. cassette, chain).

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I use a D.A. chain

I was going to post and say that I use a Dura Ace chain with a Ultegra cassette on my old bike but I just remembered that I went with a Dura Ace Cassette. I tried a Wipperman stainless with the D.A. cog and it did not work for beans. The Wipp works fine with my Campy group on my newer bike. The D.A. chain cost what $30.00 (I forget). The D.A. chain works great.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
The only differences are:

You'll have less money in your pocket.

Your bike will weigh a few grams less.

You'll need to replace the chain in half the time.

I do not believe the statement about the chain life is correct in this instance. The D/A chains seem to perform and last longer than any other Shimano Chain. If you open a used Shimano 7701chain you should consider a Wipperman link or Sram link when you reinstall it. I have seen too many instances of reconnecting with the Shimano pin causing an unreliable link. Your results may vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.