Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm switching from 1X9 to 2X9 this year, and I was wondering if the chain watcher I was using is still necessary/recommended. Or will the front derailleur do a good enough job of keeping the chain on the small ring?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'm going with both. Dropped chains cost me a lot last yr; I'm not taking chances.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Andy Schleck used a chainwatcher and still dropped his chain. Also, people use derailleurs as chainwatchers for 1x setups. Also, if you drop a chain, usually not a big deal. If you drop a chain that gets lodged under a chainwatcher (happens all the time) . . . big deal.

If I were running a double, I'd use a small bigring (46t) and be meticulous about setting up the front der and limit screws.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've used a 3rd eye or Deda dogfang chain keeper with my 39/46 double for the last 7 years. I've only ever had my chain go under the chain watcher and get jammed in a crash 1 time, and I was able to yank it out from there and continue the race. I've not dropped my chain or had any other chain/front rings problems at any other time in those 7 years.

I use these things on all my road and cross bikes, they're cheap insurance against a dropped chain and they work brilliantly for cyclocross. Even on a drivetrain with a perfectly adjusted front derailleur, the chain can get bounced off under cyclocross racing conditions. The chain watcher almost completely eliminates this common problem.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
like setting your bike down

wunlap togo said:
I've used a 3rd eye or Deda dogfang chain keeper with my 39/46 double for the last 7 years. I've only ever had my chain go under the chain watcher and get jammed in a crash 1 time, and I was able to yank it out from there and continue the race. I've not dropped my chain or had any other chain/front rings problems at any other time in those 7 years.

I use these things on all my road and cross bikes, they're cheap insurance against a dropped chain and they work brilliantly for cyclocross. Even on a drivetrain with a perfectly adjusted front derailleur, the chain can get bounced off under cyclocross racing conditions. The chain watcher almost completely eliminates this common problem.
too roughly on lap 7's portage

wunlap has it right

1 - 5 of 5 Posts