Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got almost 10,000 miles on the chain I have on now. My question is: Is there a rule of thumb as to when you should change it? I still have no shifting problems and the cassette and the rings still look almost as good as new. So should I change it, or just leave it alone?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Dysfunctional ******* said:
I've got almost 10,000 miles on the chain I have on now. My question is: Is there a rule of thumb as to when you should change it? I still have no shifting problems and the cassette and the rings still look almost as good as new. So should I change it, or just leave it alone?
Measure it under tension. 12 links= 12 inches when new. If 12 1/16", replace it. If more than 12 1/8", replace it and probably the cassette - maybe the rings. - TF

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
It is possible for a chain to have that many miles on it and still be good IF it has been very well maintained. That said, the only people who give their drivetrains the kind of care required to achieve that kind of chain life are usually already quite knowledgeable about chain wear and the factors that impact it. I suspect your chain, when checked, will end up showing significant wear. If it has elongated beyond 1/8", normally the point where both chain and cassette would need to be replaced, you might as well keep using both until you actually start encountering problems with gear skip or noise. If you're in between 1/16" and 1/8" replace just the chain. If you're under 1/16", please let us know how you lube/clean your chain so we can all do it like that :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.