Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a second fixed gear. I acquired a nice Pinarello road frame with 70mm Italian thread BB. My bro gave me a Campy Daytona (now called Centaur) crank set, but he had an English thread BB. So I need to get a new BB and dial in the chainline while I am at it.

Supposedly the Campy Centaur 111mm spindle will give me a 143.5 (measured as road double) chainline. It looks like there is about 5-7mm(?) between the chainrings, which I calculate would put the inner at 40-41 mm, the outer at 46-47mm.

I plan on an IRO/formula 130mm rear hub, which will have a 142mm chainline.

Any suggestions on best way to get this set up?
Is adjusting spacing on chainrings or hub the answer?
Which is preferred and how much room can I count on?

Is there any hope of using the outer chainring (for aesthetic purposes, obviously)?

Just eyeballing it, it looks like the crank needs to be almost flush with the BB shell to get the outer chainring to the 42-44mm range.

Could be done with a Phil BB? would I need a shorter spindle?

Advice and help much appreciated!

Thanks~!

· Registered
669 Posts
111mm spindle will give you 41mm for inner chainring and outer at 46mm.
107mm spindle will give you 42mm chainline for the position.

You could spend ~$120 and get an 108mm Phil BB (which is adjustable + - 5mm)
or for $98 a 107mm TA Alize BB
(the above two options depends on the fact that the cranks will work being this close to the frame)
or for $30 a 111mm Campy Mirage BB and live with the ring in the inner position.

Depends on what you want to spend.
I've got Phil on all my bikes. One is 20 years old and still spinning.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Still searching and mulling it all over. Checking Miche 107mm; but so far it sounds like they are all ISO spindles as opposed to Campy taper. Probably the best solution will be Phil - just means I have to wait just a little while longer to lay out the $.

· Registered
669 Posts
Fred_Litespeed said:
Thanks. Still searching and mulling it all over. Checking Miche 107mm; but so far it sounds like they are all ISO spindles as opposed to Campy taper. Probably the best solution will be Phil - just means I have to wait just a little while longer to lay out the $.
Campy taper = ISO
Shimano = JIS

I haven't heard many positive comments about the Miche BB. Other Miche components seem fine but the BB didn't get very good reviews. Could be just rumors though, can't remember the source of the Miche BB comments.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
The drive side cup on the Miche is also not fixed so you can adjust the chainline a few mm in either direction for fine tuning. I'd say give that a go as it's a cheap option. I have a few friends on Miche groups and they haven't had a problem with the BB... it's sealed bearing so no worries about rain/grit.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep... going to give the Miche a try. Even if it doesn't work out in the long run it should get me rolling sooner. If it works, great, and if it is eventually a disappointment then I should still have plenty of time to save up for a Phil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.