Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my Ritchey Road Logic built back up after being powdercoated.I put on new 10 speed Ultegra with a 12-27 cassette. Problem- when I'm in small chainring and either big or next to big in back chain skips off small chainring. Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated. BTW already had it in to LBS- they said they did some minor adjustments but still not right.

Thanks

· Banned
14,487 Posts
I'm a pragmatist. I'd fiddle with the limit screw just long enough to get terminally frustrated with the problem, then slap a Third Eye Chainwatcher on it and be done with it. You probably don't want the ARPs to see that on your nice bike, though, so I'd suggest endless fiddling with the limit screw.

I don't believe it's a chainline issue per se.

mtnvike said:
Just had my Ritchey Road Logic built back up after being powdercoated.I put on new 10 speed Ultegra with a 12-27 cassette. Problem- when I'm in small chainring and either big or next to big in back chain skips off small chainring. Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated. BTW already had it in to LBS- they said they did some minor adjustments but still not right.

Thanks

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Yeah...sounds like a limit screw adjustment to me too. See what kind of clearance you have on the front derailleur between the chain and the inner plate of the derailleur in the gear combinations you mention. There should be very little clearance when in the small ring/ large cog combo. If there is a big space try tightening the L screw a bit to decrease the gap size. I am guessing that it only happens right as you are shifting to the small ring.

Might want to look at the Park Tool Website too...they have a lot of good tune up and maintenance info.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
thoughts...

The chainwatcher that was suggested is not intended to keep the chain on the little ring once it's there, it's intended to keep it from overshifting, off to the left, when the shift from the big ring to the little ring is made. You mentioned nothing about this problem occuring when shifting between the chainrings.

Checking the chainline is simple, but easier before the FD is installed. The tip of a tooth on the big ring should be 47-48mm from the center of the seat tube. Measure from the side of the ST and add half the ST diameter. That is not likely your problem.

I would suspect a problem with the little ring; either worn out or bent teeth, unless the problem does only occur when shifting to the little ring. The it's more likely a limit screw adjustment. Keep turning it in until the shift to the little ring will not execute, then back it up 1/8 turn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.