Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
back to pedaling
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Specialized Roubaix elite with FSA Gossamer MegaExo triple 50X39X30. I mostly use the middle ring up front and believe the cassette is OK till I wear it out. When I am on flats I am running out of gears and was thinking of increasing the large chainring to a 52 or 53.

If I do this will I need to replace the chain and do I have to use FSA chainrings? I believe I can make the season on this cassette and one chain replacement but the chain I have now is still in very good shape.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If I do this will I need to replace the chain
Probably not, unless your chain now is just barely long enough

do I have to use FSA chainrings?
No, you just have to get the right BCD

When I am on flats I am running out of gears and was thinking of increasing the large chainring to a 52 or 53.
You do realize it won't make much difference? you get a 4% or 6% increase in the gear size, so if you're spinning 110 rpm when you "run out of gears" with the 50, at 33 mph (assuming your smallest cog is a 12), with a 53 you'd be going 35 mph, or alternatively spinning 103 rpm at 33 mph. Not a huge difference.

I mostly use the middle ring up front . . . When I am on flats I am running out of gears
I don't quite understand. If you're running out of gears on the flats, you must be in the big ring, but you mostly use the middle ring. So are you going uphill most of the time?

·
back to pedaling
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is a triple and I normally use the middle and large rings. Where I ride is hilly and on the extended flats I am in the big ring, mid season last year I started using all the gears. Not for extended times but I could have used a little more gearing

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
How about installing a standard 53-39 double, and install a 11-25 cassette?

What cassette is on the bike now?

·
back to pedaling
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frdfandc said:
How about installing a standard 53-39 double, and install a 11-25 cassette?

What cassette is on the bike now?
I was hoping to get some good use of the current ones then replace/upgrade. Right now it has a 12/28 I believe. Reading what the JC wrote made me think maybe I should just wear these out and replace it all at once and work more on my cadence this season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts