Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cannondale R700 has a Truvativ crank, and I assume Truvativ chainrings. The big ring is now getting worn - at least, I can feel the points are now much sharper than the other chainrings. So,

Do I need to buy the same brand chainring, or do they come in standard sizes?

How many miles do these usually last, anyway? Do they need to be replaced on a regular basis? If so, how long?

Thanks,

Sinclair

· Registered
413 Posts
Sinclair said:
My Cannondale R700 has a Truvativ crank, and I assume Truvativ chainrings. The big ring is now getting worn - at least, I can feel the points are now much sharper than the other chainrings. So,

Do I need to buy the same brand chainring, or do they come in standard sizes?

How many miles do these usually last, anyway? Do they need to be replaced on a regular basis? If so, how long?

Thanks,

Sinclair
Have you ever changed your chain? If you have never changed your chain and you notice wear on your chainring then most likely you'll need to change the rear cassette and the chain too. It would be cheaper to just get a new crankset than buy replacement rings.

· trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
Ken said:
It would be cheaper to just get a new crankset than buy replacement rings.
i'd hardly call a pair of rings less expensive than an entire crank, the prices for FSA
rings range from $26 to $90, salsa from $25 to $52 and sugino from $24 to $34. shimano
naturally, aren't cheap($25 to $120) - see bikeman.com for example...

if you add in a new chain and cassette, then _maybe_ the cost comes out close,
but if you're replacing the crank, you gotta replace the chain and cassette anyway, right?

for those of us on a budget, you replace what you can. i just replaced both rings,
and bought a new cassette for less than $100 shipped. the least expensive FSA crank
(FSA Omega MegaExo Compact Crankset - $118) plus a cassette and a chain would
get you to about(118+15+24=157) not including shipping(this is for 8spd BTW)

while i would have loved to replace my crankset, i have a budget _and_ i don't own
a crank extractor. for me, my 1991 dura ace crank is still plenty stiff for me, and
the new rings will allow me to climb hills a little easier - and still under my budget.

· trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
Ken said:
cwg_at_opc said:
i'd hardly call a pair of rings less expensive than an entire crank, the prices for FSA
rings range from $26 to $90, salsa from $25 to $52 and sugino from $24 to $34. shimano
naturally, aren't cheap($25 to $120) - see bikeman.com for example...

http://tinyurl.com/p7kuk
i stand corrected...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.