Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: I found a chainring that I think would work well for my needs if I'm reading it correctly, listed as "48/110". Is the 48 referring to the number of teeth like I'm assuming? What's that 110 about?

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Zaurusman said:
How do you know if it's a 4- or 5-bolt? Just assume that if it's the wrong bolt number the diameter won't match up?
As far as I know, all 110mm BCD rings (also known as "compact" or touring rings) are a 5-bolt design. As are all 130mm, all 135mm, all 144mm, etc.

Less-than-5-bolt designs are not used in road bikes, except for ancient, obsolete designs, like anti-deluvian Raleighs and the like. 4-bolt designs are stricly ATB stuff anymore, and they use different sizes, of which I can't remember any specifically.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has a MTB drivetrain

Sorry guys, I shoulda elaborated but didn't realize it mattered. It's an old hybrid I've converted to drop bars but has MTB bottom bracket and drivetrains. I just replaced the crank along with the cassette last week, the former because the stock crank has welded-on chainrings and I wanted some flexibility. Right now I'm looking for a 48-tooth outer to replace its 44-tooth that runs out early.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.