Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this really beautiful old track bike from my uncle a few months ago and it's finally very close to being finished. But now I have a problem! The 48 tooth chainring touches the chainstay, very slightly and only when fully tightened, but there's definitely a little rubbing going on.

Is there anything I can do besides getting a smaller chainring? I really like the gearing I'm at now (48x15) and don't want to change it if it can be avoided. Not to mention trying to find another new campy chainring for $20...Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Well you have 2 choices... 1) go to a smaller chainring and smaller rear cog- if possible- to keep the same gearing, or 2) move the 48 outboard by either getting a longer BB or moving it to the outside position. With the latter you might need to futz with the chainline on the hub to keep it all straight though.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Also - post more pictures. i think that might help :)

joe

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Back in the days when bikes were tools and not works of art, more than one mechanic would dimple the chainstay by giving it a little tap or two with a plastic hammer. I have to say that this was usually done only when a rider suddenly decided to use a larger-than-normal chainring and there wasn't time to futz around with bottom brackets and chain line adjustments. Never seemed to hurt the frame at all. But on that beautiful old track bike of yours . . . I don't know, seems like a brutal thing to do. :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to try playing with the bottom bracket first and if not then it's back to eBay for a smaller chainring...I'm going to take it to Trackstar soon and see what they can do.

I know, I know, the photo was totally superfluous, but I've had this incredibly beautiful bike hiding out in my apartment for way too long now and I couldn't help showing it off a little bit, even if it's just a glimpse of a corner of it...Plus I just figured out how to make the photo thing work on this computer, so ya know...

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
You can get washers to stick between the drive side cup and the frame to space the bottom bracket to the right a little, I had to do the same thing. If it is just rubbing a small amount that will probably fix it. The guys at Trackstar are aces though, they'll be able to get it rolling.

·
Registered
499 Posts
asterisk has got it right. Buy a gasket like they sell at hardware stores for plumbing, and place it between the bb and the cup, it will move it out just a hair. I also did this years back on a bike that I am still riding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent, that sounds like a much better option than buying a new chainring/bottom bracket or messing around with the frame. The rubbing is very very slight so hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post pictures when it's done!

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Do you think that will move it out enough? Watch the non-drive side crankarm clearance if you move it over alot.

First thing I would try would be to just move the chainring to the outside position on the crankarm (and see if chainline is OK).

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Now that I look at the photo again I think Fred is right, it appears you have a road crank on there so I'd move the chainring to the outer position and measure its chainline. A washer is only going to give you maybe 2-3mm so before messing with the bottom bracket I'd do some measuring to find out what's really going on there.

·
corning my own beef
5,721 Posts

·
I ride.
77 Posts
I know this is an old thread but.... Some of the spindles on the old cup and cone BB's were offset. That is, they were longer on one side. If you didn't pay attention when you took it apart there was a chance of putting it back together wrong. If the drive side was supposed to be the longer portion of the spindle and it got put back in backwards, you'd end up with this problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.