Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get into the whole story...but...got a bike built, blueprint said that the chainstays should be 41.5...it arrived at 42.5 center of BB to center rear skewer. It took one year for this frame to be built...I won't mention the builder. Should I care about the #'s. What will the effect of slightly longer seatstays and chainstays be? I am disgusted with some of these "expert" builders!!! I just want to ride my new Ti frame.

·
Registered
777 Posts
More chainstay is almost always a good thing. A slight improvement in ride, a bit more stability, and more tire clearance are the plusses. I have a bike with a very short rear center. Chainstays are about 37 cm. The seat tube is curved around the rear wheel. Here's my take on short rear ends. The bike handles extremely well, although I wouldn't attribute this solely to the rear end geometry. It's a tiny bit rougher on bad pavement than my longer bikes, and hard braking on steep downhills locks the rear wheel sooner than I'd like. The only real bummer is that you can't get an inflated tire into or out of the horizontal rear dropouts, as it hits the seat tube before the wheel drops out. Standard-diameter steel tubing (Columbus SL) gives back some of the clearance that the tight rear triangle takes away, but it's still tight.

If I had to guess, and it's simply a guess, the builder decided you needed a shallower seat tube angle. Since this moves the seat tube closer to the rear wheel, and lengthening the chainstays a bit would compensate for that. I'd give him/her a call, and ask for the reasons for the change. I'll bet that they make sense. Remember that your builder knows more about bike design than you do, that's part of what you're paying for.

Still, it's a variation from what was agreed to, and should be explained.

--Shannon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Call him on it...

AlanS said:
I can't get into the whole story...but...got a bike built, blueprint said that the chainstays should be 41.5...it arrived at 42.5 center of BB to center rear skewer. It took one year for this frame to be built...I won't mention the builder. Should I care about the #'s. What will the effect of slightly longer seatstays and chainstays be? I am disgusted with some of these "expert" builders!!! I just want to ride my new Ti frame.
Well, the bike will be a tad more comfortable - I'd bring it to the builder's attention seeing that you have a blueprint number and a different actual number. You got a custom build, shouldn't you get what you wanted or what was presented to you via blueprints?

Just my opinion...good luck.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
AlanS said:
Maybe the builder came to his/her senses mid-way through the build. 41.5cm?! Zoiks!

Still, he/she should have told you about it and gotten your sign off. You have every right to call him/her and talk about it to see if everyone can walk away happy.

The bottom line is that you've got a BETTER bike in most respects because of the 42.5cm chainstay. But that's just my opinion.

- FBB

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
The result...

will be more weight on the front end, which is seldom a bad thing and a longer wheelbase, that will improve comfort a bit, but make the bike a bit slower turning. Altogether probably not a bad thing, unless is was supposed to be a fast handling crit bike.

For racing bikes, 40-41cm is more common, even 41.5 is on the longer side.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I've got 3 road bikes with chainstay lengths of 41.0, 41.5 & 42.5; the latter two are custom builds. For most of my rides a prefer the longer chainstay. I'm 6'1" and not a racer.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you don't mind me asking...how did you measure the length? For a correct indication it has to be done parallel to the frame. If you measure the actual stay length you'll typically end up 1cm longer.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
162 Posts
How it is measured?

The measurement will vary slightly depending if it is measured along the chainstay or along the axis of the frame - i.e. distance of axis of BB -to- axis of rear wheel.

For example, for a 41-cm BB-axis to RW-axis, the chainstay length will be 41.5cm.
That is "square root (41^2 + 6.5^2)". So if the measurement of the chainstay is 42.5cm, then the real spacing if BB-RW is 42cm ... still a bit off.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Two questions:
1) is this a "race only" bike (Crits) ?
2) how much room between your rear tire and the seat tube ?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hmm, sounds like somebody bought a Dean. :rolleyes: There is no point in worrying about it because if you want Dean to replace it they will just argue with you and then refuse to do it. If they do replace it, it will be forever to get another bike and then some other dimension will be off. Dean seems to agree to do what is asked and then just build whatever they feel like that day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.