Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that for 2010 Challenge is offering a higher end version if tghe Grifo and was curious if anyone has a set of the new for 2010 Challenge Grifo Settas? I ask because the Challenge website indicates Black tread & white or tan sidewalls, 260 TPI, and handmade silk casings in contrast to the poly casings of the standard Grifo.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ms6073 said:
I noticed that for 2010 Challenge is offering a higher end version if tghe Grifo and was curious if anyone has a set of the new for 2010 Challenge Grifo Settas? I ask because the Challenge website indicates Black tread & white or tan sidewalls, 260 TPI, and handmade silk casings in contrast to the poly casings of the standard Grifo.
No direct experience with the upscale version by Challenge, but can recommend the Fango on FMB casings. Pleased last season with this combo, and the FMB casings are a lot more supple than the Challenge's. Don't know about pricing differences, but you might consider FMB with the various other mfgrs treads if you are after variety.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, expecting FMB Gripo Xl 32's later this week but the main reason for the inquiry was to try an answer a question about the tires. I ordered a set last week but when they arrived, something did not seem right and a little research revealed I was sent the lower end version with polyester casings, not the new tire with the silk casings.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
for the price of the Grifo Settas

I'd buy FMBs or Dugasts

if you paid for Settas and got regular, you need a serious rebate

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
zank said:
Silk is a bit more fragile than cotton. If you're buying your own tires, I think shying away from silk is a good idea. I don't think the suppleness is worth the risk of tearing one open.
Zank speaketh the truth.
Unless you're a Yahoo with money to burn ( like me)...the lower price tires are great.
Is there a difference in ride with a silk tire?
It depends...most of the time you'll never notice.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
pretender said:
Not to mention, saves you the trouble of aquasealing them (if you're lazy like me).
But using Aquaseal, with it's "this product WILL cause birth defects" warning is all part of the fun.
It gives a very nice buzz...a Kafka high...you feel like a bug.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
the mayor said:
But using Aquaseal, with it's "this product WILL cause birth defects" warning is all part of the fun.
It gives a very nice buzz...a Kafka high...you feel like a bug.
Mastik just doesn't cut it for you anymore?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
pretender said:
Mastik just doesn't cut it for you anymore?
Nope...just doesn't do it.
I started with Testor's model glue
a few years of Sharpies and WhiteOut....
next, Zamboni carpet cleaner and then Mastik...
They were all just gateways to Aquaseal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts