Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a fairly new rider and I've gone through the progression of wearing cargo shorts, to basketball shorts, to real road bike shorts. As my miles and time on the bike increase, I have found the need for a chamois creme. I purchased a tube of chamois buttr and used it last weekend for a three hour ride. I like it! Never before has my butt felt such comfort on a long ride. The thing I am having trouble with is how long it lasts and what the guy at the LBS told me to do about it. It seems to last about two hours, and the guy told me that he sells individual packets of the buttr as many riders will take it with them on a long ride to re-apply.

Re-apply!!??

My question is, do any of you really re-apply your buttr while on the road? I'm new to the whole thing and just got used to wearing my road bike shorts out in public. But the idea of reaching down my shorts with a hand full of lotion to lube up while out in public is a little much for me. How do you guys handle this situation?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Timma said:
I'm a fairly new rider and I've gone through the progression of wearing cargo shorts, to basketball shorts, to real road bike shorts. As my miles and time on the bike increase, I have found the need for a chamois creme. I purchased a tube of chamois buttr and used it last weekend for a three hour ride. I like it! Never before has my butt felt such comfort on a long ride. The thing I am having trouble with is how long it lasts and what the guy at the LBS told me to do about it. It seems to last about two hours, and the guy told me that he sells individual packets of the buttr as many riders will take it with them on a long ride to re-apply.

Re-apply!!??

My question is, do any of you really re-apply your buttr while on the road? I'm new to the whole thing and just got used to wearing my road bike shorts out in public. But the idea of reaching down my shorts with a hand full of lotion to lube up while out in public is a little much for me. How do you guys handle this situation?
I don't usually need to relube, but just duck into a port a john or behind a bush if you have to do so.

·
Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Timma said:

Re-apply!!??

I havent gotten to the point of being comfortable with wearing road shorts yet much less lubing my butt in public:eek: Good luck with that. Eager to learn how you guys worked up the nerve to do all these little necessities of serious riding. It cant be as easy as some make it out to be. Im with the op on this one.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
I have never had to re-lube but my longest ride has been a century (5 hours). At those events I lube outside my vehicle just before I get on the bike and apply liberal amounts. I have some Wet-Ones or similar wipes to clean the lube off my hands.

With regard to modisty, after a ride I have seen many guys drop their biking shorts to put on some street shorts for the post ride festivities or the ride home. Generally it is near vehicles so some privacy is provided and no one seems to sweat it.

Funny how people have no problem watching the violence of murder or rape in a movie, but cannot take the sight of a butt. (and that comes from my perspective as a steriotypically prudish Catholic :) )

I would say just don't apply lube while standing in line for food at a rest stop. Ewwww. (Take some Wet-Ones with you in a Zip Loc if you expect to apply the stuff in the middle of a ride)

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Find a somewhat private place & go for it. It's better than chafing.
yup...being embarassed is better than a saddle sore.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just skeet some goo on your hand and jam it down your pants. If anyone gives you any crap about this, proceed to wipe your gooed hand on their face. This may not be an effective solution, so definately go behind a bush, bathroom, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I just need to go for it at an opertune moment in hopes that if I get caught, it's by another cyclist who knows whats going. I just fear that I'm going to get reported to the police for indecent exposure by a mom riding her beach cruiser and her son riding a trike pointing at me yelling "what's he doing with his hand down his pants!"

Somehow I don't think it would help the situation if I take my gooed hand out of my shorts and wiped it on the kids face.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Buttr is like drugs. I don't use it. No sores. My butt is rock hard just like my saddle.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Snakebitten said:
I havent gotten to the point of being comfortable with wearing road shorts yet much less lubing my butt in public:eek: Good luck with that. Eager to learn how you guys worked up the nerve to do all these little necessities of serious riding. It cant be as easy as some make it out to be. Im with the op on this one.
I've taken it one step at a time. And to be honest, the whole humiliation thing is quite a nice life lesson, albeit a little cliche. If you want to break it down and put it into perspective, there are more embarassing things you do on the road and in life than wearing tight shorts.

Having said that, I have yet the need to rebuttr my butt.

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Timma said:
But the idea of reaching down my shorts with a hand full of lotion to lube up while out in public is a little much for me. How do you guys handle this situation?
i usually have one of my riding bro's apply it for me. sometimes it is just easier with a 3rd hand when wearing bibs.

mx

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Timma said:
..... It seems to last about two hours, and the guy told me that he sells individual packets of the buttr as many riders will take it with them on a long ride to re-apply.

............. But the idea of reaching down my shorts with a hand full of lotion to lube up while out in public is a little much for me....
Do you ride longer than two hours without taking a "natural break"?

If you can find a place to pi$$, I'd think you could apply the butt'r while you are there too. :idea:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've never had to re-lube. I rode a 24 hour time trial once, and I can't count how many double centuries. I lube up with Vaseline, or its generic equivalent, generously. If I never stopped riding, I think it'd be good for days.

Chamois Butr, Assos Cream, etc. are all right, too. I've used them plenty of times, but I'll be darned if I can tell any advantage they have over good-ole petroleum jelly. Well, let me take that back. The advantage they have is that they are bicycle specific products, and as such, are much more expensive. And, of course, as everybody knows, if something is more expensive, it must be better. Right?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do any of these products have an adverse effect on the shorts or chamois? In the olden days, a "chamois" was actually a true chamois made from sheepskin that you could treat like any type of leather product. These days it's hard to tell what they're made of and I was wondering if they could be harmed by absorbing this goop.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
rochrunner said:
Do any of these products have an adverse effect on the shorts or chamois? In the olden days, a "chamois" was actually a true chamois made from sheepskin that you could treat like any type of leather product. These days it's hard to tell what they're made of and I was wondering if they could be harmed by absorbing this goop.
the good brands shouldn't...not sure about stuff like Bag Balm that isn't designed for cycling use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.