Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help on chamois care and chamois cream.
Any and all recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
chamois care: keep it clean

chamois cream: i use assos, applied to my taint, not the chamois

tgiboney said:
Looking for help on chamois care and chamois cream.
Any and all recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Clean

Keep your shorts clean. Wash them after each ride. Cold water, gentle cycle, powder detergent (liquid does not rinse out as well) and line dry.

Chamois Butt'r is a good choice too for most rides. If it is a long, sweaty ride or rainy ride you may need to reapply. Bag Balm lubes well but does not wash out as well.

Speaking of clean, keep your nether regions clean too. Get out of your shorts ASAP after a ride and wipe clean with baby wipes.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Not needed, unless you wear "stone age" shorts.
I ride Volers with both the "Cantara" and the "Ion" pad. After riding, I just throw them into the washer, and then into the dryer. They last for years, until you crash.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Chamois care was only really an issue when bike shorts actually used a real leather chamois. Now it is about personal hygiene more than anything.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
One more vote for wash and wear

I don't do anything to mine but wash them in the washer and wear them. On gentle cycle if I have some other stuff that needs to go that way, but I often just toss them in with the shirts and pants. No problems with the shorts or my butt as a result.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Cold water, gentle cycle.

Keep them clean and like others have said, wash after every ride. I use Assos as well. Chamois buttr is good too, but Assos has the added "aaaaaahhhhh" of menthol:D

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I usually don't usa anything on the chamois. On the rare occassions that I do, I like Noxema.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with the general consensus. Cleanliness. Chamois in good condition.
I used to go without chamois cream, but had some chafing issues, especially at the edge of the chamois. I started using Assos, and that has gone away. I liberally apply to the "taint" area of the chamois and to my arse cheeks where the chamois edge is. Expensive but it does not take much.

Nothing like that "eye-opening" feeling of sliding on a freshly creamed pair of bibs, especially if you are not quite awake!!!!!

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.