Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am planning to spend some time in the saddle in July.

Day 1: 10-12hrs
Day 2: rest or possibly 2hrs
Day 3: 2hrs
Day 4: 2hrs
Day 5: rest
Day 6: 2hrs
Day 7: 10-12hrs
Day 8: 6-8hrs

Do you think I need some cream?

If I do, can I get away with just standard moisturising cream? Coco butter cream? Vaseline? Have never used them before ... And where do I put it? Just the perineum region? What about back towards the abyss or front to the cacti?

I presume you would just put them on like how you would with moisturising cream on your hands? Wouldn't it feels a bit slippery? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rides longer than 30 minutes, really? For me that would be every time I get on the bike. Though I've never used it I've noticed I do start to get some chafing on rides over 5-6 hours and may try it. I have a ride later this year that will be 7-8 hours/day for 8 days so I figure it's worth trying out ahead of time. Unless your having a problem I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've used it for a while now, and it seems to help on the longer rides. It seems to be 50/50 in my group, of who uses it, and who doesn't.

My top 3 brands would be, in condescending order:
Assos - best I've used, without a doubt.
DZ Nutz - Good stuff, has a "cooling" effect to it.
Chamois Butt'r - the old standby!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
My rides can last 4, 5, and 6 hours. Yes, I use it and would highly recommend it. Just on the sit bone region not on anything else.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Body shape has a lot to due with whether you need it or not. I use it on longer rides 25 miles + (Beljum Budder) and it really helps with chafing. You can buy some of the smaller packs of this stuff and give it a try to see if you like it.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'HTFU' :ciappa:

:D

I have not done so many rides in such a short period of time. So far the butts been ok for a single 100mile 7hrs ride and nothing for the week after.

So just on the sit-bones and ASSOS is recommended ... Cheers ... I do not wish to get to Day 7 and start to have chafing problems ... That will definitely do my head in.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Bit of an embarrasing admission, I use Boudreaux's Butt Paste which is a diaper creme. It's a mixture of vaseline and zinc oxide that works unbelievably well as chamois creme. Also, you can find it most anywhere for cheap. No reason to buy expensive bike-specific stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also use the Buttonhole Cream, but only for rides in excess of 50 or 60 miles. Tends to make things a little more comfortable during the latter stages of the ride. As far as application is concerned, I just smear it onto the chamois (I believe this is what the directions say to do) before putting on my ridin' britches.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I've never used it either, but I have if from several good sources that 2Toms Butt Shield, which is a roll on, is pretty good stuff; I may try that when I do my 100 or more mile ride if I encounter butt soreness/chaff on lessor rides. If I don't experience any issues then I'm not going to buy something I don't need, and that's my advice to you...don't buy something unless you have the need, your butt will tell you.

·
Registered
940 Posts
IMO you are not moisturizing, you want a barrier. I think the first day is a big ride and you will be sweaty and dirty and moist, and barrier cream is going to be a help. My preference is a lanolin/mineral oil blend with a little lavender oil or peppermint oil, and I make it myself. Otherwise A&D cream is a good barrier (diaper cream) and the success of most bike centric creams is marketing as mostly they are repackaged diaper creams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.