Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wearing a pair of The Black
Bibs for roughly 5 months/ 1k miles. I've heard good and bad about them, personally I've never worn other bibs, and can't fault them until recently when the chamois seems to be getting thinner around the edges, and it's thinking about making a dirty joke about chafing. Obviously it's about time to replace them, but I'm wondering if I'll get more bang for my buck in terms of longevity if I spend more on a higher quality bib, or just a nicer bib while it does last?

I've been washing them after every long ride, or 2-3 short rides: hand wash, lukewarm water, no detergent, hang dry.

·
Registered
24,504 Posts
I've been wearing a pair of The Black
Bibs for roughly 5 months/ 1k miles.
I've never heard of that brand. I'd be uber pissed if my bibs only lasted 1k mi.
My bibs (Assos) last years and thousands of miles. I usually wind up tearing them or wearing them till see thru before the chamois wears out.
And I don't do anything special to wash them. Throw them in the washer with everything else. Hang them to dry.

I've been washing them after every long ride, or 2-3 short rides
wash your bibs after every ride!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
30 minutes and don't even work up a sweat? I figured I would be doing more damage with too much washing. I hang them up inside out, and wash them if they're sweaty or have any visible dirt.

I figured it was a stupid noob question, but I have to admit I'm surprised at the answers. To be clear, the middle of the pad isn't getting thin. It's just the edges, which are thinner to start with, stretching out and bunching up a little. I've worn out many pairs of pants in that exact area. they're wearing out exactly where and how I would have expected, I just wasn't sure what to expect for when.

Is a $100-200 pair of Assos or Pearl Izumi bibs actually going to last me 3-5 times as long as the $40 bibs I'm using?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I can ride 1K miles in 5-6 weeks, so replacing bibs at that interval would get silly expensive.

the $50 AeroTech shorts I buy easily last a year or more.

try a different brand, there's a lot of options. and spending $200 is def not necessary to find something of decent quality.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I've never heard of that brand. I'd be uber pissed if my bibs only lasted 1k mi.
My bibs (Assos) last years and thousands of miles. I usually wind up tearing them or wearing them till see thru before the chamois wears out.
And I don't do anything special to wash them. Throw them in the washer with everything else. Hang them to dry.

The Black Bibs

Check out their products, they are a pretty good quality from what I've heard.
Your last advice is absolutely correct, wash those shorts! If you don't hand wash your shorts, it is not a bad idea to use a delicates bag to avoid snags or wear to the lycra or other delicate fabrics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be more worried about damage to my taint than to my chamois. Wash everything.
If they get dirty enough that they might cause any damage they get washed. But if all I've got time for that day is a 10 mile ride that usually means that when I get home I have time to hang them up but not wash them first.

On reflection, the "wash everything every time" sentiment may be my roundabout answer: my skin is very sensitive to artificial scents, most lotions are scented, so I've avoided chamois cream. I've ridden up to 115 miles in a day with no hint of saddle sores, clearly I don't need chamois cream, but maybe my shorts do.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Never had a chamois wear out, get thin, or fail. Something else is going on.

I machine wash cold, and line dry.
Same here, I have never had a chamois wear out before something else happened to the bibs: threading fail, tear, thread-bare. I do have one exception to that. I had a pair of Santini gel bibs where the gel insert tore and turned into a ball of goop. Had to chuck those

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,867 Posts
I run a rotation of bike shorts, so it's difficult to tell how many miles each one lasts. My chamoises do wear down eventualy, but I'm sure I get well over 1000 miles out of each pair.

I always use unscented laundry detergents for everything and do nothing more than throw them in chamois side out with the rest of the wash -regular cycle. I always hang dry and NEVER put them in the dryer.

$40? You get what you pay for. All my shorts are over $100. Brands I'm using now are Voler and Assos - both excellent brands.

·
Registered
24,504 Posts
Start your spending on BRAND NAMES, and try spending $100 minimum, and compare.
$40? You get what you pay for. All my shorts are over $100. Brands I'm using now are Voler and Assos - both excellent brands.
Yup. Pick up a pair of Assos Mille shorts on sale. You can find them for $100-120. You'll never want to buy $40 shorts again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. Pick up a pair of Assos Mille shorts on sale. You can find them for $100-120. You'll never want to buy $40 shorts again.
3x cost = 3+x quality? Comfort quality or durability quality? If 3x comfort, then comfort schmomfort, TBB are good enough. 3x durability I'll definitely give it a shot.

Does my chamois cream hypothesis hold water? If it won't affect the durability of the shorts, then if it ain't broke don't fix it. If that's why I'm wearing them out I'm cheap enough to spend a little extra to figure out something that works for me.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I wear Sugio shorts (aobut $80) for road riding and a handfull of different brands of baggies for MTB riding. I've NEVER worn out the chamois on any pair fof biking shorts. If anything, the elastic on the liners wears out, I get a rip at one of the seams, or a zipper stops working.

OP, something is wrong with your pants and it's not the way you're washing them.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Does my chamois cream hypothesis hold water? If it won't affect the durability of the shorts, then if it ain't broke don't fix it. If that's why I'm wearing them out I'm cheap enough to spend a little extra to figure out something that works for me.
There was a mention somewhere that synthetic chamois don't need lubrication; the lubrication was supposedly a throwback to natural chamois days.
I tend to think there are good arguments on both sides of the issue because even with synthetic chamois almost 100% of the market, even "greased" synthetic chamois riders still get sores.
Using cream is a personal decision that has to be based on each rider's experience.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,867 Posts
No, you're wearing out your shorts quickly because you got cheap shorts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, you're wearing out your shorts quickly because you got cheap shorts.
Well, if $100 shorts only last me through next summer I guess I'll just blame you 😉. In all seriousness though, I won't rag on the $40 shorts too hard. I splurged spending $350 on my bike, there's no way I would have spent $100 on my first pair of bib shorts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts