Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after seeing the "should I wash my shorts thread after sweating in them for an hour" thread, it made me think about an issue I have with shorts. Not sure how I differ anatomically, but it seems the chamois positioning in all my shorts is off. The widest part of the chamois is always positioned too far back when I ride so that I end up sitting on the narrow part - I'm sure you've seen riders with the fat part of the chamois outline further up their back rather than matching the saddle outline. Anyone else have this issue? I have PIs and a pair of Nikes and it's the same thing with both.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
I thought the title of this was Chamois Poisoning. Very disappointed.

If the chamois comes very high in the back, maybe you should turn them around?

Just kidding of course. I've heard others remark on this, but almost everyone I know, when they're on the bike, their chamois ends right about where the saddle ends in the back. The only concern I'd have is bunching or chafing, or if your contact points aren't being covered.

Perhaps this feels like a bigger issue than it really is? If you're not on a bike saddle, whatever you think about fit is suspect, because it's a very different position to standing around a bike shop or your bedroom or whatever. I'd say you should check next time you're on the bike and see where the chamois ends in relation to your saddle contact points. If that seems reasonable, then you're set.

The only place I've had problems is that on the Voler shorts (which I like) the terry cloth front of the chamois (peeny pad) doesn't come up nearly as high as most of my other shorts. Once I got used to it there was no problem, but at first it seemed odd.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikeboy389 said:
I'd say you should check next time you're on the bike and see where the chamois ends in relation to your saddle contact points.

That's the issue, the chamois pad isn't lined up with my saddle. It's riding up my backside more than being lined up with the outline of my saddle so I end up not getting most of the benefit of the padding and instead sit more on the narrower part of the chamois. If anyone else experiences this and knows of a manufacturer that place the chamois lower, please let me know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
I thought the title of this was Chamois Poisoning...
So did I. And yet, here we both are. Weird, huh? :wink5:

I don't have a problem with the chamois in my one pair of shorts (Specialized baggy mountain short jobs, and yes, they get washed after every ride) riding too far up the back. Although, the rear part of the pad does feel huge. I guess around here that's referred to as 'diaper'-ish?

However, my first pair of bibs (Performance Ultras) just showed up today and I tried them on when I got home from work. They seem to fit fine, but, having only worn baggy mountain-bike shorts, when I looked in the mirror after slipping on the bibs....:eek: :blush2: :D

How far up the *front* should the pad be riding? Because, let me tell you, the chamois on these babies is stopping somewhere south of the point, if you get my drift. I have my weekly long ride tomorrow and I'm already feeling self-conscious. :(

(sorry for the hijack, OP)

·
Registered
74 Posts
newridr said:
bikeboy389 said:
I'd say you should check next time you're on the bike and see where the chamois ends in relation to your saddle contact points.

That's the issue, the chamois pad isn't lined up with my saddle. It's riding up my backside more than being lined up with the outline of my saddle so I end up not getting most of the benefit of the padding and instead sit more on the narrower part of the chamois. If anyone else experiences this and knows of a manufacturer that place the chamois lower, please let me know.
maybe your shorts are too big? have you tried a smaller size?

rt

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right size

Nope. They're definitely the right size. I wear a medium and they're snug all the way around. I definitely wouldn't want to go any smaller since they're very snug on my legs (my handle might be newridr, but I've been riding for years and get out 3-4x per week).

I know this was a strange question, but wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience and found a pair that fit them better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.