Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2005 Giant OCR 1 with a Mirage Triple.
I live in a hilly-ish area of Southern England, and only occasionally use my bottom chainring.

Is it worth me getting a double, and if so a standard 53/39 or a compact?

I not a powerful rider and I tend to try and spin up climbs, but would I do better to build up some quad muscle to push a bigger gear. My only reservation about a 53/39 is that I don't ever push a 53/12 (on the flat) and on my triple spend most my time spinning in the low 52,or high 42, which makes for some crossover.

A friend suggested I get a compact as Campag now make a Mirage 50/34 - what are your opinions?

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
A simple answer

spearman said:
Is it worth me getting a double, and if so a standard 53/39 or a compact? A friend suggested I get a compact as Campag now make a Mirage 50/34 - what are your opinions?
The simple answer is to ask what gears you use now. If you never need the small chainring, then you would be fine on the double. If you need the small ring but not the biggest cogs, then you can do the math to determine whether the compact will work for you. Also you need to consider the size of the biggest cog and how close you want your cassette cog spacing. Pushing gears that are too big for you is not good for your knees. If you become a stronger cyclist through piling up the miles and working on your strength, skills, and endurance, then it may be time to consider a double. You, or someone who knows your riding style well, are the only one(s) who can answer this question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts