Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who use their bikes for road training as well as cross, I wonder what changes you make to the bike. I have been riding my Poprad since Thanksgiving, mostly on the road but some off road. I have done 3 cross races, really enjoyed them, but the season is over now. When I ride on the road I have been using some skinny road tires, of course, but that is it.

I wondered specifically about gearing. I have considered after I pay the bike off getting a second wheelset. My thoughts have been possible getting a road set with a slightly higher cassette range to get a bit more speed on the road. I guess the other option would be a different crankset for road, but changing wheels is easier than cranks, so I would rather do that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
24601 said:
I have considered after I pay the bike off getting a second wheelset. My thoughts have been possible getting a road set with a slightly higher cassette range to get a bit more speed on the road. I guess the other option would be a different crankset for road, but changing wheels is easier than cranks, so I would rather do that.

Thoughts?

A 2nd wheelset? I seem to remember a few people recommending that and you throwing a hissy-fit. Did you buy the disc version? That's going to make the spare wheels more expensive.......

You could just get a 50 or even a 53t chainring and leave the small ring alone which keeps your low gears for off-road riding. However, a 2nd set of wheels is the better option.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What I said (no hissy-fit) was that I could not get a 2nd wheelset when I bought the bike. I always said I would eventually get a 2nd wheelset, just not when I bought the bike. That still holds true. If you read again, I said "after I pay the bike off". Before you go throwing crap around get your story straight.

It was people reacting instead of reading that made the last thread fall apart (If I remember, you were one of them).

Also, I did not get the disk version, though I wish I had if only for the carbon fork. I am not a fan of this aluminum fork, but I am stuck with it for a few years at least. It is the one part of the bike I don't like.

A bigger big ring was another option, thanks for mentioning it. I never use it off road on trails, only on the road, so that might be a good idea.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm doing all of my winter training on my 'cross bikes.

I'm using regular road clincher wheelsets for training (2 pair of velomax circuits for training). On those road wheelsets I put road tires (armadillos on the rain bike and michelin pro race on the dry bike). I put road chainrings on both 'cross bikes (53/39 and 50/36 now on the bikes). I'm using the same cassettes as before because (ultegra 12-23 on the compact crank and ultegra 12-25 on the standard crank bike).

So basically all I did to turn my 'cross race bikes in to winter training bikes was: road tires and road chainrings. And I replaced the dirty bar tape and added fenders to the designated 'rain bike.'

And I added cyclo computers so I could keep track of ride times and mileage.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
There's a few things:

1. bigger rings in the front and keep everything else in the back the same

or

2. bigger rings in the front AND a new cassette/tire in the back

or

3. get a new wheelset with a straight block and keep the same chainrings. Just don't expect to win any top end sprint-fests without a LOT of spinning!

Personally, I'm gonna ride my road bike so I can keep the cross bike set up for off-road. If I couldn't, I'd go with a new wheelset AND bigger rings.

M

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Just put on a larger chainring and a longer chain and retain your existing rear cluster which ought to be 12-25 or 12-27, so you are all set. If you get additional wheels and rear cluster, I'd suggest something like a closer range 12-23 or 12-21, but also buy the tools to change out the rear cluster.

You may also wish to drop your bars a little and raise your seat if you were running them lower for off road.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
if you have a compact crank

toss a 50 t ring on and you are golden. run a 50/36 with a 12-27 and I can go as fast as I need to. faster than most I encounter.

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
I just roadized my cyclocross bike...

Tossed on a FSA team 130bcd crankset 53/39.
Getting a new cassette 11-23 and chain.
Road tires, so far for training I've used the tufo cs 33 special with sealant, only one flat (nasty glass slash) that ruined the tire, from march 'till october.

And already thinking about 'cross season, I'll run a 44 ring on the outer. Just remember to keep FD cable long for the adjustment.

FYI I dont see anything wrong with a 42 or 44 single ring on the road... any thoughts? Just run a tighter cassette.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cross on the Road

I have been putting a lot of mile on my cross bike lately - at least a lot for me.

I have extra wheels so I am using a 12-26 cluster with the 39/48 rings.

The extra saddle time has me feeling like I want to stretch out on the bike more by moving a seat a little further back. This has occured before with me. In years past as I road through the spring getting in shape and gettin more and more used to riding, I often found that I wanted my seat a little higher and further back as I acclimated to riding.

I will probably put a 52 or 53 on in late spring or summer if I find that I need more gear when/if racing.

David K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts