Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put the new tube in my rear tire, used my C02, it got stuck on the valve, I pull as hard as I can with my hand. My hand flies off with the inflater and my thumb hits the cassette and a sprocket tooth goes through the bottom of my thumb nail. Blood everywhere. Ouch. I'm gonna loose the nail now. Stupid flat tires!

Tim

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
This is why you stick to minipumps.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I had one of those Crank Brothers mini pumps. What a miserable contraption.
I got cramps in my pectorals and soaked with sweat just trying to get 20 psi in my tires.

· hello
3,395 Posts
You're not supposed to 'pull' inflators and chuck heads off of valves. You can easily damage valve stems that way. I use the karate chop method. It's fast and easy.

1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roadfix said:
You're not supposed to 'pull' inflators and chuck heads off of valves. You can easily damage valve stems that way. I use the karate chop method. It's fast and easy.
Oh? So you karate chop the inflater? That doesn't damage the stem at all?

· Registered
507 Posts
I try to avoid the problem by only buying tubes without threads on the valves, like Michelin tubes. And I also remove the pump with a quick hit rather than trying to pull it off. I don't think that would work as well with my CO2 though, since its only @3 inches long.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
I had one of those Crank Brothers mini pumps. What a miserable contraption.
I got cramps in my pectorals and soaked with sweat just trying to get 20 psi in my tires.
I'm very proud of your low upper mass, but that's only beneficial in races as you've experienced :rolleyes:

· Registered
399 Posts
Chef Tony said:
I try to avoid the problem by only buying tubes without threads on the valves, like Michelin tubes. And I also remove the pump with a quick hit rather than trying to pull it off. I don't think that would work as well with my CO2 though, since its only @3 inches long.
True, but if you get the "Red Zeppelin," the chuck that goes on the valve is threaded, and it threads to the stem. All you have to do is "unscrew" it, and it's off! Oh, and I also use the Michelin tubes, as there's zero resistance when using a Silca pump.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Ouch. Did you try cursing first? It is the universal procedure to begin irritating tasks. (Not in the presence of those easily offended, young children or cute gals who are passing by.)

Was the inflator frozen to the valve?

1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did curse a lot in fact. The nail is toast and will fall off shortly. And yes, it did freeze to the valve, stupid thing. Riding home was no fun at all. Well, as much as you can with a busted finger nail.

1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You asked for it! It's on the way

Tim

1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yummy. I'm gonna lose the nail!

· Registered
44 Posts
Perhaps stupider trick

I changed a flat a few months back... blew a little air in the new tube to give it some shape to stuff it into the tire. Closed the valve to keep the air in... remounted the tire.. applied the CO2 cartidge to the valve stem (notice I did not say "re-opened the valve"). Blew all the inflator parts apart! Man - that hurt! Luckily just bruised up thumb and fingers. Hammered all the press-fit inflator parts back together...

On most of my bikes I carry a Road Morph....

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Oweee! Another suggestion nobody has made yet is to file your cogs down so they're round. Seems to me it wouldn't hurt nearly as much. :)

1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mayukawa said:
Pull from the non-drive side next time?
You must have a phd. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.