Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering changing out my chainrings for FSA ones. I wanted a 53. I know it wont make much of a differance but still. Is there anything that I should watch out for? Anything to consider? Will the shifting be any different? My DA group is the 7800 series. Thanks for any input you can give.

Carlos

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Train More

los318 said:
...I wanted a 53. I know it wont make much of a differance but still.
Don't bother, it wont make any difference. A couple of summers ago my son and I were the same height and closely matched sprint wise. He rides a 52t for junior gearing and I ride a 53 because it was stock. We would swap bikes from time to time mid ride when training and I could never tell a difference in losing a tooth when riding the 52t. Don't waste your money and time it the extra tooth will not make a difference.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

Most D-A's are 53, that's been the standard for many years. I'd rather have a 52, it would give me closer ratio spacing and let me stay on the big ring more. But there is very little difference, certainly not enough to justify a change. If I ever wear out one of my 53's I'll replace it with a 52 or 51.

Al

·
rebounder
572 Posts
keep your drivetrain together. swichting out rings and such all the time will eventually lead to poor performance

·
Registered
704 Posts
And to throw some more confusion into the pot ... :D

I started last year with a newly fitted 39/53 (Ultegra). Despite what folk say, I felt that the 53 was a tadger too much for my aged legs, so took the 52T I had on my 'old' triple and fitted that.

Shifting quality was unchanged, I subsequently fitted a 13 - 25 cassette and all was well for much of last year.

I then fitted a 38T inner (Salsa) and a 50T (TA) outer, keeping the same cassette. This shifted just as well as all the other combos - using the same Shimano Ultegra double front shifter - and I find the combo, now with a 13 - 26 on the rear, to suit my riding needs wherever I end up in my 'local patch'. If I feel an urge to go ride anywhere flat - tricky around DC, it's decidedly 'lumpy' - I have a 12-23 somewhere, which offers closer ratios though the 12 seldom gets dirty.

Of course, what has to be considered is that I'm in my mid-50s, struggling around after 30 years of not riding, or even particularly living decently. Screamin' fit 20-somethings with 4% body fat may approach this differently ;)

Regards
Dereck

For my next trick - 34/50!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts