Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Old Skool
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune from a private party. The bike is equipped with a 10 speed DA double drive train. I am looking for advice on converting this to a triple. The more I investigate this, the more it sounds expensive. This is the list of parts that would need to be changed along with some notes. I would like to keep it all DA except where noted:
  • Crankset/BB (duh) I’ll probably go FSA, the proprietary BCD on the DA triple really bugs me.
  • Left Shifter, Also obvious, need the triple specific version.
  • Rear Derailleur, Need to go with the “GS” long cage version.
  • Front Derailleur, Shimano has a separate triple specific FD.
My questions are as follows. Please feel free to interject other advice as you see fit. I have already considered a converting to compact instead and have clearly decided that the triple is the way to go for me.
  1. Is there anything that I have missed?
  2. Can I use the existing DA BB?
  3. What is the difference between the double and triple specific front derailleurs?
  4. Any suggestions on the best/cheapest place to get the parts? Shimano’s aftermarket pricing is a bit scary.

Thank you in advance for your help.

· Registered
359 Posts
I think you may have included too much. The BB and crankset, of course, are givens. The front derailleur may not matter. I would try it with what you have before buying a new one. IThe drop from 52 or 53 to 30 is beyond the specs for the FD but I still think it might work. The left shifter may not be necessary either. You may do fine using the existing shifter which has an extra "click" in it. The chain will sag on the small ring with the short cage derailleur and you would need a long cage to correct that, if you want it corrected.

Now, my real advice is, that if you want to do the whole drive train as you suggest, then go with a Campy triple. They are truly outstanding. They shift as well as the Campy doubles and have a very handy 42 tooth middle ring that can keep you from shifting in the front at all most of the time. You could get a Centaur/Veloce triple group, which works better than any Shimano triple for a lot less money or even get Record/Chorus, if that's what turns your crank. Good luck with the upgrade.

· Old Skool
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lemond Geometry

Al, It is precisely the Lemond geometry that is one of the key attractions. The combination of slack seat angle (72.5) and long top tube is exactly what I need. There are not a lot of other bikes that offer this. In addition, I am looking for a bike that rides comfortably, especially on rough roads. The carbon/steel Lemonds have an excellent reputation in this regard.

Given that I am also considering a new Zurich, the chance to get the same frame clad with DA at a good price certainly warrants investigation.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
questionable advise..

The idea that a double front shifter and double FD might operate a triple is pretty far fetched, IMO. There aren't enough clicks or cable travel to make that work.

I agree that Campy's system is a lot better, but not because of a 42T middle ring. I avoided using a Campy crank with my triple equipped (campy drivetrain) bikes, because the 42T middle ring steals one low gear (42/23 = 39/21) and causes more frequent use of the little ring.

As for the Lemond geometry, the OP should keep in mind that the 72.5 STA shortens the reach and the longer TT just makes up for it. A bike with a 73.5 STA and 1cm shorter TT would fit the same, but requires more seatpost setback.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Stogaguy said:
Al, It is precisely the Lemond geometry that is one of the key attractions. The combination of slack seat angle (72.5) and long top tube is exactly what I need. There are not a lot of other bikes that offer this. In addition, I am looking for a bike that rides comfortably, especially on rough roads. The carbon/steel Lemonds have an excellent reputation in this regard.

Given that I am also considering a new Zurich, the chance to get the same frame clad with DA at a good price certainly warrants investigation.
OK, good. It just seems that a lot of times conversions or upgrades don't make as much economic sense as choosing a different bike. But now I see that you know exactly what you want.
I agree with C-40 that the D-A front shifter may not work with a triple, I know mine would not.

Al

· Registered
359 Posts
C-40 said:
The idea that a double front shifter and double FD might operate a triple is pretty far fetched, IMO. There aren't enough clicks or cable travel to make that work.

I agree that Campy's system is a lot better, but not because of a 42T middle ring. I avoided using a Campy crank with my triple equipped (campy drivetrain) bikes, because the 42T middle ring steals one low gear (42/23 = 39/21) and causes more frequent use of the little ring.

As for the Lemond geometry, the OP should keep in mind that the 72.5 STA shortens the reach and the longer TT just makes up for it. A bike with a 73.5 STA and 1cm shorter TT would fit the same, but requires more seatpost setback.
There are certainly enough clicks and cable travel. What I don't know is whether or not the "trim" click goes the same distance as the others. I never measured it. The issue is really reliability because of the drop in tooth count going way beyond the spec for the FD. I'm pretty sure I could get such a setup to work and work reasonable well. At least the FD is the inexpensive part of the whole thing if that needed replacement. I'm not recommending it, though. And I've never tried it. I've done such a setup on an extreme compact double but I don't have any personal experience with Shimano triples at all.

The reverse (triple to double), of course, is not a problem at all with just cranks and BB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.