Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my old road bike was stolen, I have only been riding fixie and have needed a new road rig but having trouble pulling the trigger on something. I'm not sure why exactly, but I just bought a used '04 S-Works frameset from the 'bay. Please help me figure a few things out:

1. S-Works seems to be some designation other than strictly a model name, but it seems also to be used as a model name. Am I right in deducing that a frame that only says S-Works (I couldn't see the L. chainstay in the pics) is an E5 Aerotec? If so, I'm excited. It will be my first AL bike!

2. Am I stupid for not going CF? Anything not steel is new/hi-tech for me & at $200 this was about half the price of even a Chinese CF frameset and will prob keep some of its value if I decide to get rid of it in a yr or 2. right?

3. Compact geometry! like it wasn't hard enough to fit a bike before? I have no idea if this will fit and even from CL or LBS it would be hard to tell from a frameset alone. I don't yet have a stem for it... what's a good all-around length/angle to start out with and see if the fit will work out?

4. Anything I need to know in moving everything over from an older (threaded headset) Lemond Zurich that I have lying around-- Ultegra 9sp (6500)?

Thanks for the patience with my verbosity. I hope to be riding into the 21st century soon.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
1. Dunno, sorry.
2. No. While I want to make the move on an "eBay" CF frameset, I would say that with all the hassle I've heard around sorting mishaps, you got a decent deal. I wouldn't get hopeful about re-sale. Hell, I personally (atm) don't believe in selling a bike unless it's very much near new. Ride it to its end.
3. I say start at 110mm. You're pretty much insured to have at least 20mm to reduce or add upon buying another stem for specific fitting.
4. Check BB shell size, steerer and seatpost diameter. I assume your headset is in with the fork so it shouldn't be an issue. Get new cables of course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts