Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· hail to the redskins
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the pedals on my mike, but I have not been able to remove the old ones. I even tried using my drill with a hex bit in it, but it remains stuck. Any good ideas?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Do your pedals have wrench flats, in addition to the allen-key fitting? If so, get the appropriate size open-end wrench, and add a length of pipe as a "cheater bar" to get more leverage. If you only have the hex connection, get the longest allen wrench you can find, and add a pipe to it. You can get much more torque that way than the electric drill can produce. And as Dave noted, make sure to turn the proper direction. Left pedal is reverse threaded.

Penetrating oil can sometimes help.

· So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
PB Blaster

Get some "PB Blaster" penetrating fluid , lay bike on side, and let PB Blaster "puddle" & soak into the back side of the pedal hole for a few hrs.

Works better than Liquid Wrench.

PB Blaster has helped me remove some seriously seized/galled fasteners on cars, without snapping them off. ...

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
How long have those pedals been on that bike without being removed? I once had to take off a pedal that was so stuck, that with a 24" cheater bar, I actually twisted the allen wrench. Sort of looks like art now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.