Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have limited use with my fingers on my right hand (was hit by a car while riding). How difficult is it to switch my shifters around? I'd like to be able to shift the rear sprokets with my left hand and only need to use my right hand to change the front.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
I don't think it's possible if you have integrated shifting. Since the detent points within the shifter determine how much cable is pulled or released, they are set up specifically for the front and the rear, so the simplest method of switching cables won't work. Now I haven't seen the internals of the shifters, but there is a remote possibility you could disassemble them and swap internals to make them work differently, but I also find that doubtful, regardless of the difficulty associated with it!

Now if you just had friction shifters you could just switch the cable routing and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
To difficult...
There's a kid in town that has CP (he's on the Para-National team, fwiw) who has the same issue as you.
His left shifter works the F/D and rear brake. His right shifter is front brake only. He uses a bar-end shifter on the right to shift the R/D. Works just fine for him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts