Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to know how much of a difference a 120 mm stem would vary over a 110mm. Im looking to upgrade to the WCS Carbon stem and am wondering if I should stay with the 110 or go to the 120. I have a little room in my extension but just wanted to run it by you guys. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
ummm . . . .

TricksterG said:
I am curious as to know how much of a difference a 120 mm stem would
vary over a 110mm..
10mm, or 1cm, or about 25/64 inch. Is this a trick question? I'm not sure what you're asking. It's a little longer. If you feel you need a little longer stem than what you have now, get a longer one. If you're comfortable, get the same length, or keep the old one.

Not trying to be a smart*ss, but I don't understand what you're asking.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
advice...

It all depends on whether you're conservative in your current reach. If so, moving up a size might not be a big deal, but if you're using about as much reach as you can tolerate, then you may experience discomfort. My rule is to use a stem that is long enough to avoid knee to arm contact when I'm pedaling in the drops with my upper back nearly horizontal. If I have no knee to arm interference, then a longer stem serves no purpose. If you want to get lower for better aerodynamics, lower the bars by removing spacers or using a different stem angle.

I'd chose the 4-axis stem over the WCS. It's now available in both 31.8 and 26.0 sizes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-40 said:
It all depends on whether you're conservative in your current reach. If so, moving up a size might not be a big deal, but if you're using about as much reach as you can tolerate, then you may experience discomfort. My rule is to use a stem that is long enough to avoid knee to arm contact when I'm pedaling in the drops with my upper back nearly horizontal. If I have no knee to arm interference, then a longer stem serves no purpose. If you want to get lower for better aerodynamics, lower the bars by removing spacers or using a different stem angle.

I'd chose the 4-axis stem over the WCS. It's now available in both 31.8 and 26.0 sizes.

Thanks for that, that helped out quite a bit on clearing things up. I apologize if my question wasnt clear but you pretty much answered it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.