Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find any information in searching so I thought all of you experts would know the answer.

If you change a tube in the rain, should you take it out when you get home to let the tube and interior of the tire dry out?

Seems the trapped moisture might be an issue?? Or, does it just dry out on it's own over time?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'd just let it be and see if there's a surprise waiting for me in there next time I changed a flat or replaced a tire.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm sure it would dry out on its own but I'd take it apart to dry and talc it because I'm OCD like that.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I'd take it out, talcum powder the casing and the tube and put it back together.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I couldn't find any information in searching so I thought all of you experts would know the answer.

If you change a tube in the rain, should you take it out when you get home to let the tube and interior of the tire dry out?

Seems the trapped moisture might be an issue?? Or, does it just dry out on it's own over time?
Not unless it was raining salt water. The worse that can happen is the tube might adhere to the tire once it dries and you'll lose like .002 watts (made up number but you get the point). And that's not unique to moisture drying but due to being un-talced.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If a tube moved while in contact with the tire it would wear through, with talc or not. Basically, they don't and there is no rolling resistance difference. Talc just makes it easier to install and remove the tube.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
talc is cancerous!
What, you worried you'll get mold on your tube?
the water will get out, if you have extra spoke holes!

·
Registered
21,637 Posts

Rubber is pretty much waterproof so the tire and tube are not going to be affected. And when you ride in the rain there are plenty of routes for moisture to get into things. Not an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts