Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why do credit card purchase show up immediately on an account - but returns take 5-7 business days?
I'm sure we're getting hosed somewhere in there...

·
Super Moderator
40,807 Posts
Homer Simpson: You should ask for your money back.

Lenny: I did, but they said they wanted it.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
why do credit card purchase show up immediately on an account - but returns take 5-7 business days?
I'm sure we're getting hosed somewhere in there...
How much is the interest on 7 days of your money? Now multiply that by the millions of returns.

There's your answer.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If you pay off your credit card every month, then you are essentially getting a short term (approx. 1 month) interest free loan on your purchases, so why worry about the charges showing up right away? Plus, if you have a cash-back account, you are getting paid for putting purchases on your card. I haven't paid a penny in credit card interest in decades (literally) and I average about $200 a year in cash back.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
How much is the interest on 7 days of your money? Now multiply that by the millions of returns.

There's your answer.
I think this is your answer. It's also the reason the company I work for tries it's best to receive payment from clients ASAP but doesn't pay our subcontractors until we get paid for a job, or later.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
so why worry about the charges showing up right away?

I don't think he's worried about charges, just wondering about the lag for returns.

Also, depending how often you use your card, you might consider getting a different one or an additional one. I get over $300/year back from my Citi dividend card and my wife gets a ridiculous amount of discount/free airfare from her Alaska Airline Visa card.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
When I make a CC purchase, most of the time it shows as a pending charge for a day or two before it applies as a full charge. If I get return or refund it usually takes about the same amount of time, sometimes a day longer. I'm sure there are so many chargeback scams out there I don't begrudge the company some time to do it right.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
If you pay off your credit card every month, then you are essentially getting a short term (approx. 1 month) interest free loan on your purchases, so why worry about the charges showing up right away? Plus, if you have a cash-back account, you are getting paid for putting purchases on your card. I haven't paid a penny in credit card interest in decades (literally) and I average about $200 a year in cash back.
We get a lot back at the end of the year. We do the Discover thing. We then use the 'points' to buy gift cards from Discover... usually getting a $25 card for 20 points, or $50 for 40 points.

The grocery store also has deals if you buy gift cards from them they will double gas points ... we used the discover to buy the gift card, get discover points, then turn around and get the gas points from the grocery store. Then we spend the gift cards on ourselves on stuff we were going to buy anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts