Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always run into these dogs on this route. 3 golden retrievers at a farm. 1 alpha male and 2 younger ones. Well.. As I come riding towards the farm I see all 3 dogs come charging from across a large 5-10 acre field in my direction. As I get closer to the farm.. maybe 1/4 mile the alpha dog reaches me. I swerve away from him, shift to a bigger gear, stand up, and start sprinting. At this point the road turns into a long steady hill and I’m suffering. I start pushing as hard as I can. No cars coming ahead of me so I’m weaving all over the road trying to trip the dog up… Dog keeps up like I’m barely moving. to another bigger gear… Power down some more.. I’m racing up the hill at around 27mph.. pretty fast.. The dog isn’t even trying. He starts nipping at my leg.. So.. I keep pushing. I look to the side and see 2 trucks behind me staying well back because I’m all over the place trying to avoid this dog. I finally reach the top of the hill and punch it with the rest of my strength. I get a small gap on the dog and he almost stops and gives up.. I sit down and start spinning down slightly to catch my breath.
At this point the first truck pulls up along side me. I look over and the guy is clapping and laughing his ass off. He gives me the thumbs up and drives away. I started laughing myself and then started coughing from the exertion of laughing. Seeing that guys reaction was worth the effort. Plus I’m stoked at how hard I attacked that hill! Hahahahaha… Anyhow. Beware of overly large fast dogs. You’re not faster..

Out of all the times I've rode this route this is the first time these dogs have bothered chasing me more than a few yards.. Usually they just follow me the length of the lawn.. I think next time I'm stopping and talking to the owners.. because this was also the first time the dog actually nipped at my leg..

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I thought this story was going to end with the dog on the truck's grillwork. Oh well. . .

· Registered
609 Posts
A Golden that nips??? While it does happen, its pretty rare. Something definitely needs say something to the owners.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about a weekly interval past there haha.. I've never seen any people around the house... Maybe I'll be able to leave a letter or something at least. I don't think these dogs would bite me if I drove up in a car.

· Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I've never seen any people around the house... Maybe I'll be able to leave a letter or something at least. I don't think these dogs would bite me if I drove up in a car.

Maybe the dogs are the owner of the house LOL..

27mph up a hill is insane fast! for me at least. I would have slow to a 19mph and die from dog bites.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I was expecting something like the dog slamming head-long into a pole while chasing you or something, or tripping and going endo.

Next time, as you approach the property, and you see the dogs, just stop there and let them come to you. They just want to play. Retrievers love chasing moving objects, which is why it nipped at your feet. The dogs will probably just approach and want to be petted or lose interest all together (until you start riding away). When you start riding away, ride slowly in a big gear, so that you don't look all excited. Maybe find a stick or dog toy laying around and throw it in the opposite direction.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I always run into these dogs on this route. 3 golden retrievers at a farm. 1 alpha male and 2 younger ones. Dog keeps up like I’m barely moving. to another bigger gear… Power down some more.. I’m racing up the hill at around 27mph.. pretty fast.. The dog isn’t even trying. He starts nipping at my leg.. .

they are soo cute

· Registered
22 Posts
Dog chase in the bike movie "American Flyers"

Crap movie with a young Kevin Costner. Is that "Training with Eddie" quote related to the movie?

I don't want to give it away, but there's a scene in the movie similar to your experience.

See it for the race scenes shot on the roads of Grand Junction Nat'l. monument in Western Colorado.

· Registered
93 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Dude...water bottle to the dog's face. It hates getting sprayed in the.
Maybe a retriever, but not everyone! My dog's favourite game is to be squirted by a hose, water bottle, etc -- do that to him and he'd likely take it as an invitation and speed up!

(not that he would ever be caught chasing a bike...)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.