Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a cycleops fluid trainer and most weeks i'm riding every other morning and i've found that i get lazy and start finding excuses why switching out a rear wheel and putting it on the trainer is too much work. ultimately i skip indoor training sessions after work. so, i'm looking at buying a STI equipped 2nd bike that will only be used on the trainer and remain on it 24/7. I was looking at some of the cheaper bikes at bikesdirect.com. any thoughts on one of their base setups as a trainer bike. I'm really just interested in using it for spinerval sessions, etc.

here's an example: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington3_IX.htm

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
see, that's why a resistance trainer with a cheap beater on it is a good permanent setup. Damn fancy cycleop is making you buy another gruppo...

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Why not buy a beater from a thrift shop? Around here you can get all kinds of used "10-speeds" for $25 or less. I bought a Centurion Le Mans the other day with a Brooks Pro saddle and barcon shifters for five bucks, just to get the shifters (I didn't notice the saddle until I got home). If it's just going to sit on the trainer, that's all you need.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sti?

Just curious, why do you need STI on a trainer?
With this economy look at your budget and buy what works for you.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
overkill

James30Florida said:
i have a cycleops fluid trainer and most weeks i'm riding every other morning and i've found that i get lazy and start finding excuses why switching out a rear wheel and putting it on the trainer is too much work. ultimately i skip indoor training sessions after work. so, i'm looking at buying a STI equipped 2nd bike that will only be used on the trainer and remain on it 24/7. I was looking at some of the cheaper bikes at bikesdirect.com. any thoughts on one of their base setups as a trainer bike. I'm really just interested in using it for spinerval sessions, etc.

here's an example: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington3_IX.htm
Not sure you need STI and a new bike for a trainer. I have an old Raleigh that I bought for $5 at a garage sale permanently attached to my trainer. Even though it has friction shifting, that does not really detract from my workout. If you must have STI, at least look at a older used bike. You don;t need 10 speeds to suffer on a trainer

·
Registered
28 Posts
chucks bikes on the web

is a decent source
i cobbled together a bike for indoor riding pretty cheaply
my $.02

·
Registered
534 Posts
Even cheaper, find a nice exercise bike on craigslist. Lots of high end models with no use sell for pennies on the dollar. They work a hell of a lot better than a bike on a trainer. If you work it right, you could sell your trainer and make money.

Note: used exercise equipment comes in two forms...
beat to hell - do not want
used as clothes/towel hanger - want

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a cheap road bike from Wal Mart. It's a GMC Denali. It's not well put together, and I had to do some adjustments to it but it works great in the trainer.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
James30Florida said:
problem is, there are no good thrift shops near me.

Craiglist???? Newspaper??

I use an old Schwinn courtesy of a friend from the back of their garage that they wanted to throw away. 12 speed. It's on the trainer all winter. SO many people have bikes just like it lying around. You'd be surprised.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
$160.00 trainer dedicated bike made from parts and a $25.00 junk Specialized steel frame. Never had front wheel or brakes. Trainer was a bit pricey though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.