Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a nice used bike with Mavic Helium wheels. I like them alot, but they are not very aero. I have gotten alot of advice for racers that in TTs, the most important things are aerobars and wheels (especially spokes). I also wanted to get an ok pair of training wheels since it would suck to crash on my heliums. So, since I dont really want to own three pairs of wheels, being somewhat of an amateur, and I thought I shoud just get training wheels that are more aero. Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
teffisk said:
I couldn't really find the exact rules, but from what I've seen and heard, they are legal. And, is there like a certain name for the covers because I've only found one on google?
From 2006 USCF Rulebook:

1J1.(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used

As for the covers search for "CH Aero"

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a CH aero cover; it's an OK product - nothing novel, patents for disc covers go back to before 1920. The cover is held on by six nylon (plastic) screws which connect througt the spokes at six points. The material of the cover is flimsy plastic and the holes are not reinforced which stresses and can stretch the holes. I think the whole kit 'n kaboodle weighed around 500g.

However - it was worth it. Disc wheels are expensive. Too expensive. "Buy a Renn," you might say. After all, disc covers are "illegal." But so is racing without a bar-end plug. And crossing the yellow line. And taking a piss in the bushes near the start. So be a rebel, buy a cover, take off the lame stickers, put on little dots covering up the screw holes, and if you got a pair of brass ones, paint it up like a psychadelic pinwheel.

I'll sell ya mine for 25 bucks. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.