Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a compact crankset under 200dollars...
but all the ones i've been reading up on like the e3 halo, fsa gossamer...
all have bad reviews off the crank arm falling off and such...
anyone got suggestions?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The R600 is not as nice a crank, not Hollowtech II, etc. I posted the Excel Sport link just as an example. Shop around. You'll probably be able to find an R700 in the size you want for under $200.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dr_John said:
The R600 is not as nice a crank, not Hollowtech II, etc. I posted the Excel Sport link just as an example. Shop around. You'll probably be able to find an R700 in the size you want for under $200.
The R600 is in fact Hollowtech II.

If you look on Excels list the 6650 Ultegra Compact is 200 btw, a pretty good price as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The R600 is in fact Hollowtech II.
Yes, I'm aware that Shimano now refers to it as Hollowtech II to indicate it uses external BB cups, rather than that it is hollow cast. I was referring to the arms of the R600 not being hollow cast.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Off the top of my head:

R-600 - solid (C-section) arms, stamped chainrings
105 - hollow arms, stamped chainrings
R-700 - hollow arms, forged chainrings

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where does the Ultegra SL fall in compared to the R700? I'm thinging about ditching the Gossamer that came OEM on my bike in favour of the Ultegra SL.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I bought a set of Sugino Alpina Cospea cranks for my son's bike (now my daughter's since he would not ride a weenie roadie). It's cold forged, uses a Shimano Octalink BB, and costs about $155 without the BB. It's a beautifully made crankset. You can do a search on that popular auction website for "cospea".

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I've run FSA Gossamer compact (MegaExo BB) for over 8k trouble-free miles. I have an R700 on another bike which has also been fine. The R700 may shift a touch crisper, but my FD's are different (105/Gossamer, Ultegra/R700). The R700 looks nicer, and is likely your best bet under $200.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.