Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixed Gear conversion- contest

Let's have a contest to see the best looking fixed gear/single speed conversion. Post pics and we'll all decide in 2 weeks who is the winner. I'll donate something out of my spare parts bin for the winnner..

Rules:

1. Bike has to be a road/mtn bike conversion- not a prebuilt fixie
2. Total price will effect the total score. The lower the price, the higher the score. There will be some lattitude if you use spare parts out of your existing inventory but points might be deducted if your spare parts include a mint Campy Pista group:)

The scoring will be as follows( thanks Handsomerob).

Cost
<100 = 2 points
100-200 = 1 point
200+ = 0 points

Class/Vintage/Style for the Frame
well built frame = 2 points
med = 1 point
low = 0 points

Overall Aesthetics and/or Function
excellent = 3 points
nice = 2 points
average = 1 point
ok = 0 points

Customizing/Uniqueness/Creativity
one of a kind = 3 points
pretty noticeable in a crowd = 2 points
seen before but still cool = 1 point
lost in a crowd = 0 points

Start posting pictures folks....Let's see them cheap rides.....:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Wow, $100 is cheap. I "spent" $155 on my SS converson, but the value is close to $300 from parts lying around or freebies!
Too bad it won't qualify!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feel free to nominate someone from another RBR member.

I'll nominate Funknuggets dumpster rescued fixed..

From this thread

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=77121

"I got Hickey's goofy ass covered as far as thriftiness. However, Its more just an odd amalgam of leftover parts that made their way onto the table, found a home on a $15 thrift store bike, there was some kind of lightning strike and wha-lah... hide your eyes because the sucker is hideous, but is built for what I need it to... commuting the 20mi one way to work... and handling the hardpack pea gravel mut that we have. Gregg, please note the wise use of leftover RBR stickers.....

Nonetheless, just checking in. Running 42x16... check out that fancy front chainring that I stole from my kid's bmx bike as he has moved down to a 40 for racing. Its drilled out and everything. Total price tag... $87. (mostly on those beast vittoris zaffiro tires).

Its built for a nuclear war, and looks like it."

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
this is hilarious... thats a '83 Fuji Del Ray with a home spun spraypaint and clearcoat instead of the "starship grey" it was originally. Please note my particular detail with silver spraypaint on the fork crown, just dont stand and look too close.

The thrift store cashier thought I was out of my mind for paying the $15 bucks for the sucker as the tires were dry rotted, the handlebar tape and the seat was harked, but the frame was mint. Strangely enough, it had no rust. The wheels that came on it were these funky gloss black flat-rimmed Wolbers... that actually looked quite cool, but were the type that looked like they would come out of true by just putting air in the tires.

Anyway, thanks for the vote. Hickey. Hey... If I win, can I pick the part?

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Rule clarification request

Dave Hickey said:
Let's have a contest to see the best looking cheap fixed gear/single speed conversion. Post pics and we'll all decide in 2 weeks who is the winner. I'll donate something out of my spare parts bin for the winnner..

Rules:

1. Bike has to be a road/mtn bike conversion- not a prebuilt fixie
2. Total price can't exceed $100- There will be some lattitude if you use spare parts out of your existing inventory but total price for the conversion can't exceed $100..
3. Consideration will be given for lowest cost conversion

Start posting pictures folks....Let's see them cheap rides.....:) :) :) :)
Does it count if you told your wife it only cost $100?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Here is a good scoring system.....similar to golf. Best possible score would be a 10 and worst a 0

Cost
<100 = 2 points
100-200 = 1 point
200+ = 0 points

Class/Vintage/Style for the Frame
well built frame = 2 points
med = 1 point
low = 0 points

Overall Aesthetics and/or Function
excellent = 3 points
nice = 2 points
average = 1 point
ok = 0 points

Customizing/Uniqueness/Creativity
one of a kind = 3 points
pretty noticeable in a crowd = 2 points
seen before but still cool = 1 point
lost in a crowd = 0 points

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
wait, Im confused... who does the scoring?

Dave?

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Old Gitane Tour de France Convertible

My Single speed entry is an old Gitane Tour de France frame (Reynolds 531 steel, of course). I stripped the rattle can black paint and had it powder coated, then applied gold leaf around the lugs. I built up 36 spoke 4 cross wheels from Sunshine hubs and Mavic MA3 rims. The respaced rear hub has a ACS Claw 20 tooth freewheel.

Cruiser Version:

I chose the Nitto Promendade handlebars so that I would look casual when riding at 13 mph with my wife. I found that I liked them alot. They gave great leverage when climbing, and I could grip them near the stem for a decent areo tuck. The crank is a 48 tooth Sugino Impel. Chrome fenders keep mud off my back.

The frame, fork, headset and bottom bracket were about $70 including shipping. Powder coat was $80, Brooks seat was about $50, about $70 in the wheels and $30 in the crankset, $30 for fenders, $12 for seatpost, $20 for the freewheel everything else from parts bin--I guess I'm well over $200. The seat pack is an old Coach purse.

15 minute Conversion from Cruiser to Racer:

I remove the stem and handlebars and put on drop bars. Take off the fenders, put on the 52 tooth Shimano 600 Arabesque crankset and it's a nice fast SS. The cost for the Racer is only $40. $30 for the Nitto drop Bars, $10 for the red cotton tape. I had the old Crankset.

It's amazing how much the charactor of the bike changes when the drop bars are put on. The cruiser has very light, almost squirrely handling. The drop bars bring out the old racing heritage.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
OK, here is my enty....

I probaly won't win as it's a MTB Road Crusier and around $250 but what the hell...

Frame: Sette Reken 17" Aluminum- $40
Fork: Generic Cromoly - $21
HS: FSA - Parts bin
Bars: Generic aluminum risers - $5
Stem: FSA XC170 - Parts bin
Cranks: FSA GamaMegaExo with FSA 48T ring $105
Chain: KMC SS - $3
Rear Cog: Generic 14T - $6
Brakes: Tekro Mechs - take off from an older bike
Wheels: Weimann Disc - take off from an older bike
Tires: Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35 with tubes $46
Saddle: WTB Speed comp - parts bin
Rennen CT: $22
Cables: generic - parts bin

What I acutally spent is listed.

The with these tires really moves and it can handle any Urban stuff, beach riding or fire roads easily!

Orginal built as a Commuter/Baby hauler but now relgated to fast urban/street riding/racing.

Next summer I will have a Road SS/Fixed bike. Either built from scratch or a Van Dessel Country Bob.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got into my first fixed pretty cheap.
It started with a 1983 Trek 520 that I found at a garage sale for $20.
I swapped the seat with one from an old MTB I had -- no cost.
Pedals - Free from a friend.
Crankset is the 45T from the stock touring setup and short-stack bolts - $5 for bolts
I built the wheel (first time!) with a nashbar flip-flop hub ($40), Wolber Alpine rim ($15), 14g spokes( $15), and a dura-ace 16t cog ($18)

Total cost: $113

It's been a very fun bike, lots of miles on it. I actually rode it geared for a year before converting it and buying a new road bike, so I got more than my $20 out of that buy! I certainly could have built the wheel cheaper, but at close to 200 lbs, and knowing I was going to beat this bike up, I wanted something that would last. It's held true so far!

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Conversion cost: $20 and an afternoon of shop fun. $18 for a dura-ace cog, $2 for a half link to make it fit. Everything else from stock donor bike. Respaced the hub and redished the wheel.

Donor bike was historical leftover that somehow never managed to get sold off in the progression of bikes since she was my main ride. Add whatever you'd pay me for it (you pay the shipping) to the cost.

Pedigree: 90ish Can-o-ale road race frame. Remaining running gear low-end Suntour. Currently geared at 42x16. Maillard hubs. Alex rims. ITM bar, other bits mostly unknown.

Note: As pictured, wearing Speedplay frogs from the parts bin. Donor bike clip-and-straps used in initial setup and still worn for special occasions.

Slack on style points, this is a value contender. Still, there's something about basic black...

View attachment 69513

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Dave, you evil man...

On my way into work today I spied a few junkers in someone's front yard...

Free BIkes!

Nothing special, road wise

A General 10 speed, nice shape

A Huffy Aerowind, Huffy's attempt to enter the aero market by smashing the down tube. Cool attempt, but pressed bb and lots and lots of rust and bad paint. Pass.

Went out at lunch and laid out my cash for my entry. Picked up the General for $1. I guess I'm in. Have to see what I can do to come up with a fixie... More to come.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
racerx said:
On my way into work today I spied a few junkers in someone's front yard...

Free BIkes!

Nothing special, road wise

A General 10 speed, nice shape

A Huffy Aerowind, Huffy's attempt to enter the aero market by smashing the down tube. Cool attempt, but pressed bb and lots and lots of rust and bad paint. Pass.

Went out at lunch and laid out my cash for my entry. Picked up the General for $1. I guess I'm in. Have to see what I can do to come up with a fixie... More to come.
LOL, I can't wait to see it. You have a talent for building sweet bikes....Don't you have a funny bike fixed?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts