Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just got me a pair of Shimano SH-R240s ($300 for the pair) for father's day. I am currently riding a pair of plastic Nike shoes with three straps. Should I keep them, or return them and spend the money on something else? Will I really see an improvement of speed etc?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I've been using cheap pearl izumi shoes for over two years. Just tried on some r132's and noticed how they're way more comfortable and hold my foot much more secure. This will yield less fatigue and hot foot.
Try them on. If you can tell a big difference, keep them. If you can't , and are happy with what you have, exchange them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You might not see any improvement in speed, but supposedly the strap ergonomics on those Shimano shoes are supposed to be more secure and comfortable. Also, the soles are magical carbon fiber composite which should remain stiff and give better power transfer versus cheaper nylon plastic soles which will eventually bend over time. But if you already love the shoes you have and the wife won't object, you might could get something more useful by exchanging them...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
IME Shimanos are excellent shoes. Comfy, very durable, look good, & the full CF sole just can't be beat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
milkbaby said:
You might not see any improvement in speed, but supposedly the strap ergonomics on those Shimano shoes are supposed to be more secure and comfortable. Also, the soles are magical carbon fiber composite which should remain stiff and give better power transfer versus cheaper nylon plastic soles which will eventually bend over time.
+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Definitely keep them. I bought a pair of those shoes a few years ago (I think they were the R220's at the time). They're great shoes. I have a wide foot and the wide ones fit me great. The carbon soles are just awesome. Very stiff and light. I liked them so much I bought a pair of M230's for commuting -- happy with those as well.

You're lucky to have scored such a nice gift. All I got was a day of whining from my kids.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I think the answer somewhat depends how much power you are putting down on the pedals.

If you're just out for a casual ride it probably doesn't make much difference. If you're putting some power down you should definitely reep some benefit from the stiffer soled and overall better shimanos.

That's been my experience anyway. When I started I thought my cheap shoes were great, which they were at the time. Then as I got more into it they started to suck. Then when I upgraded to a better stiffer soled shoe the difference was massive. Faster? Feels like it but I don't know.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
The biggest difference is the 240 is custom fit moldable. You take them into the shop that sold them and they do a process that molds the shoe to your foot. The best fit possible. The 132 doesn't have this option, but it's still a great shoe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.