Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
497 Posts
local shop

I had the same problem a few months ago and spent hours asking people and unsuccessfully searching mail order sites for spokes. Bottom line: unless you need huge quantities of a single oddball length, it is probably cheaper to ride down to the local shop and buy the exact number of needed spokes. I rarely build wheels or have to replace spokes, so paying for extra when I'll probably just lose them in my junk bin isn't worth it, even if they are a "great deal."

The smalltown shop I patronize stocks most lengths of DT straight 14's, 15's ($0.50 ea) and double butted 14/15 ($0.75 ea), brass nipples included. They also had a few common lengths of Revolutions for $1 each and were willing to order others within a couple days at no extra cost to me. Most managers enjoy helping guys with projects like this. Maybe there aren't any real shops in your area, but I bet you could find one in a good size city without driving too far. If you are lucky enough to find the quantities and lengths you want online, consider the extra shipping costs. It's also nice to be able to go back to the shop and swap for the correct length if you mess up the calculations. Finally, I like to support them when a shop goes to the trouble to stock stuff like this.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think I will end up doing that. Last time I just went into a super go ... and walked out with nearly 300 spokes at $0.41 each for competitions.

In New Zealand, they cost about $US1.24 each ... so buying from a US website and getting extra's is still cheaper.

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.