Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am hoping to take advantage of the high Australian dollar and buy some Powerbars and gels and have them posted over. In Oz they retail for $3 a gel, and $4.50 a bar in the shops:mad: . Nashbar have them on special for $19.95 for a box of 24 gels:thumbsup: , however the postage is a bit dear. Does anyone know of a place that sells them cheap, and does cheap international shipping as well?

A box of 24 gels in Oz =$72 aud
A box 12 bars in Oz = $54 aud

Nashbar 24 gels $21 aud
Nashbar 12 bars = $ 14 aud

cheers

Ralph

·
Registered
213 Posts
You dont want to buy from Nashbar or Performance (check my old posts to see a pretty comprehensive list on places that ship to Australia).

Some places will not ship food products internationally.

I go for clif bars over anything else, but the cheapest way is to make your own.

Universalcycles.com have clif bars for less than $2USD each, but you will have to buy more than $300 of gear to get the 15% discount.

probikekit has cheap shipping, and chainreactioncycles has free shipping for large orders.

Note also that if you belong to a club you can get Powerbar/Musashi direct at wholesale prices.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
afie said:
You dont want to buy from Nashbar or Performance (check my old posts to see a pretty comprehensive list on places that ship to Australia).

Some places will not ship food products internationally.

I go for clif bars over anything else, but the cheapest way is to make your own.

Universalcycles.com have clif bars for less than $2USD each, but you will have to buy more than $300 of gear to get the 15% discount.

probikekit has cheap shipping, and chainreactioncycles has free shipping for large orders.

Note also that if you belong to a club you can get Powerbar/Musashi direct at wholesale prices.

How do you get them direct?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sports clubs (such as local bike clubs, rowing clubs etc) can approach Nestle/Powerbar/Musashi directly and get those prices. You have to belong to an incorporated club (I suppose you could set one up if you wanted to), and be in a position to do so (Captain, President etc). Note that there are minimum orders and discounts for larger orders (you cant resell etc). Bars are about $30/12, gels are $23/12.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
word to the wise...
power bar isn't what it used to be.

the substutited out maltodexitrin for high fructose corn syurp as the main source of carb.

the gels are still un tampered, but the bar is nothing more then a candy bar that tastes like crap.

i get my cliff bars at Costco (membership store)

you'll spend more on shipping then they are worth. Contact a local baker and buy wholesale from them, package and sell them to local bike stores. Then you can quit your job and just enjoy...

·
Registered
123 Posts
fleck said:
word to the wise...
power bar isn't what it used to be.

the substutited out maltodexitrin for high fructose corn syurp as the main source of carb.

the gels are still un tampered, but the bar is nothing more then a candy bar that tastes like crap.

i get my cliff bars at Costco (membership store)

you'll spend more on shipping then they are worth. Contact a local baker and buy wholesale from them, package and sell them to local bike stores. Then you can quit your job and just enjoy...
that's terrible. what a bunch of losers. how much money do they really save going to HFCS? Of course, even if they used all organic, free range, fair trade, shade grown precursors I still wouldn't buy them. The taste is remarkably bad.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.