1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
What are you hoping to prevent?

Getting wet from rain or from sweating? I have one of those(good price by the way) but I will sweat and get wet when wearing mine from the inside out. What have I accomplished? If it is a cold rain and I am still sweating that is a pretty bad combination. Don't get me wrong, those plastic jackets do have their place and time for use, but my experience has been that if it rains and you ride a bike you will get wet one way or another. If it is really important, look for something like gore tex.

·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for one to keep the road spray off my back. I really don't like the PVC type but if I'm going to get some base miles in here in Indiana I may have to ride in the rain or there after. It's mostly for after a rain.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
The PVC type are effective and cheap, but don't breathe at all.

Jackets with a membrane (like GoreTex) breathe better, cost also goes up.

For protection from road spray (not raining, but road is wet?), something that's water resistant may suffice, but may not be too good if you actually get caught in the rain. Performance bike sells a few in that category that won't break the bank.

Unfortunately, as you add desireable features like breatheability, pit zips, ventilation, etc., the cost increases accordingly.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
This will also not be an answer you want to hear

ncvwnut said:
I'm looking for one to keep the road spray off my back. I really don't like the PVC type but if I'm going to get some base miles in here in Indiana I may have to ride in the rain or there after. It's mostly for after a rain.
Based on your explanation, fenders. They do a fantastic job of keeping spray off your back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with ARP as far as fenders. If you frame does not accommodate full fenders you could use a clip on fender, takes a second to install it. It is perfect to keep the road spray off your back.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I like this stuff

Nobody else around here seems to have tried it, but I have found these jackets very effective.
Advantages: cheap, waterproof, breatheable, light, low-volume (very packable -- easily stuffs in a jersey pocket); high-visibility color.
Disadvantages: not very stylish, not very durable (but the rips can be repaired easily with a bit of duct tape (see above re "not stylish"), and I can replace the jacket 3 times for for the cost of one gore-tex garment. In fact, in digging up these links for you, I see a good sale, so it might be time for the second replacement in 10 years (not too bad for a daily commuter in all kinds of weather). Thanks.
https://www.rainshield.com/index.html

https://penncycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=927

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
If you do find yourself considering fenders.....

The "Quicky" style might be to your liking. Easy to mount; put them on only when you need them. Come in different widths, do not interfere with brake calipers.

·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JustTooBig.....since you know the weather here in Indiana, what do you do? March, April and May will be pretty wet if it goes the way it normally goes.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
ncvwnut said:
JustTooBig.....since you know the weather here in Indiana, what do you do? March, April and May will be pretty wet if it goes the way it normally goes.
I know this will come across like a "non-answer", but I use a combination of "ALL THE ABOVE".

If temps are under 60 deg, it's going to get cold quick if I get too wet -- so a jacket of some kind is in store. I only have one rain-PROOF jacket, and I honestly don't wear it all that aften. If it's already raining outdoors, I'll sometimes just cop out and ride the rollers. If it's just a drizzle or really light rain, I might take the CX bike or fixie (with quicky fenders) out, with a jacket that breathes pretty well. If I go out on the road after the rain has stopped, I prefer fenders to stay relatively dry. I may quickly overheat in a jacket, especially when it's already humid and muggy

Ultimately I let the temperature be the primary determination on how I prepare for wet conditions. I suppose that HOW wet I might get -- a bit damp, "skunk stripe", or soaked to the bone? -- is also considered. Then the really subjective factor is how wet one is WILLING to get. Some people won't venture out the door if rain is in the forecast, others don't mind getting wet as long as they can remain relatively safe. Where you fall in that spectrum will also dictate which equipment and clothing will be necessary to make it bearable.

·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the last week of March first week of April off so I hope to get down to you and ride. I'm expecting to be the next big hill climber in the Master's level. :) I get your point. Thanks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts