Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a cheap road bike for a runner looking to cross train on. Should I stick to something used or go for the cheap bikes, less than 400 usd. What about bikes like Dawes lightning DLX or other internet bargain bikes or should I just look for a use trek 1000 or OCR 3.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I'd say used, if you get lucky

I'm a big fan of cheapish bikes for most riders, but $400 isn't much money for a new one in today's market. You could certainly get a better ride used, though it may take some time to find just what you want.
If you have the knowledge to evaluate condition, etc. you might check places like the Salvation Army and Good Will. Mostly they have Huffys, Free Spiritis and Schwinn Varsitys with Che Guevara stickers on them, but occasionally you find some nice bikes. I bought a Centurion Lemans for my son and a Specialized Hardrock for my wife last year, in good shape and needing just minor adjustment, for $25 for BOTH at a Saver's store (is Saver's national? I dunno--they're all over the West, like big Salvation Army thrift shops only better organized).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts