Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising down a hill that is part of one of my usual rides (one of those fun hills that let you cruise at ~70 km/hr without working) I see the dark black area near the bottom that means some repair work was apparently done since my last trip through. Thinking back, I remember there was a small spiderweb of cracks there but nothing that was a real problem so it shouldn't be too bad.

As I get close, I can see that they did some quality work and it's more like a speedbump than a repair. Apparently it takes at least 4 inches of material spead over a large area to fix a minor problem that a tube of caulk would have probably filled and it is entirely too much work to make an effort to at least flush the edges to the road. The square edge is apparently more aesthetic.

So plan A is to swing to the center of the lane and go around it. Nope, truck coming down the hill behind me means I'm staying where I'm at. Plan B is a bunnyhop. Plan B worked for the front wheel but I blew it with the back wheel (there's the pilot fail) which resulted in a nasty slam on the back end that ejected my water bottles and had me wondering if I was going to get real familiar with the road surface.

So: collect the bottles, make sure the shorts are still clean inside, look over the spokes and wheel and continue on. Get to my turnaround, head back in and, about halfway back in, notice a pinging noise. Look at spokes, none flopping around or missing, continue on. Continue to hear pinging, stop, carefully inspect spokes, find one very loose (hmmm, no loose spoke when I left this morning). Grab the spoke wrench, snug it up, make sure the wheel's not wobbling too much and continue on (I'll deal with it more thoroughly when I get home).

Almost home, hear the pinging again. Get home and immediately take a close look. @#$%. ~1" long crack in the rim near the problem spoke. I guess the bright side is I can quit making excuses to not buy the new wheels I wanted anyway.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
bummer.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Thankfully it didn't taco on you on landing.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ridgetop said:
Thankfully it didn't taco on you on landing.
Yeah, I was surprised about that myself. There was definitely luck involved. The mistakes on my side were obvious. I don't look for opportunities to bunnyhop when I'm on my road bike, I go to great lengths to avoid having to, so it's not something I'm particularly skilled at. I probably should have just got on the brakes (I did slow downa bit, I'm not doing 60 km/hr+ hops if I can get out of it, but I should have slowed enough to let the truck get past the problem before I got to it) but I guess visions of being a racerboy were dancing in my head or something.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
LWP said:
The square edge is apparently more aesthetic.
Yes, and it's taking the nation by storm! :)

Glad that was the worst of it. I noticed a few choice "repairs" Saturday myself.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I think that the theory is that the cars driving over the patch will level it out eventually. There's nothing like hitting a stretch of freshly chip sealed road on a hot day.

·
All natural
367 Posts
I love it when throw some asphault in a pothole and drive over it a few times to "finish" it. :rolleyes:

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
MikeBiker said:
I think that the theory is that the cars driving over the patch will level it out eventually.
Usually that means the middle gets packed down to about where it used to be before they patched it, with square edges around it so you know it's been fixed.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Here in New York they just leave them unfilled...

I have a nasty creak/squeak in the front of my truck from some pothole I hit just as you come off the GW bridge into the city--it hit so hard that it bottomed out on the suspension on a pickup!

I've got a couple of spots on my cycle route where the holes have been there since last fall--one nasty one on a good clip downhill--but apparently lawsuits are cheaper than road repair.

Pay more taxes, get worse roads--it should be the NYS motto...

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
At least the did the repairs during the week. Two weeks ago Saturday, as I made the left turn onto the big climb (you come downhill, and hang a hard left at speed, while shifting into the small ring because it instantly gets very steep), I immediately encounter a *very... large.... CRANE*.... *backing* down the hill at me!!! That's when you swear like a sailor and take evasive action. No broken parts, except maybe that I redlined my heart rate.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
In Iowa, a long descent is a bit of an oxymoron, but there are hills along river valleys that are short but steep. Things like this rattle around in the back of my head every time I make one of those descents. Glad to hear you're okay and, all things considered, the damage wasn't catastrophic to the bike.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Creakyknees said:
I would've bunny-hopped it with a cross-up.

Just sayin.
At the last possible moment, I thought to myself: what would Creaky do? I actually thought you'd do a 360 bunnyhop so you could do a quick traffic check. I was close though. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts