1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
I have a bent TRK somewhere in the store room: I had it on a mountain bike and did a tuck-and-roll with the bike, off a little bump. I don't think the seat even touched the ground.

The TRK was too soft and wide. Heavy too, if that matters and the Extra specs give it the same weight. The drooping nose shape was actually useful, for sitting on, when going up some steep spots.

·
Registered
416 Posts
As Andrea said they are Selle SMP's 'bargain' saddles. They are wide, heavy, have tons of padding, and are made with cheaper materials.

When searching for saddles I tried the Selle SMP Strike 'Pro' which has just a bit less padding than the 'Extra' (but with the nicer materials) and found it to be too wide and thick for me. It dug into the insides of my legs, not to mention the weight.

After trying the others I found the 'Glider' to be the best compromise between size/weight and suitable padding for me. The size, thickness, and level of padding one finds comfortable is highly individual. Id suggest you try them all to see which (if any) works best for you. Several shops have demo programs. Cbike.com comes to mind.

And forget about price. A comfortable seat is priceless.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DS1239622 said:
Several shops have demo programs. Cbike.com comes to mind.
I can't find any reference at all to saddle demos at www.cbike.com. Am I missing something? Competitive Cyclist has a demo program but they don't sell Selle SMP. The Pros Stuff in Boulder has two they demo, Glider and Evolution, both are currently out but I'm on the list to try the Glider in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
GerryR, I demoed the Selle SMP saddles through www.cbike.com last summer. I believe there was a $15 or $20 fee to test each saddle. At the time the program was mentioned on their website. However it looks like between now and last summer the website has been redone, and like you, I can find no mention of it. I might try giving them a call and seeing if the program is still available.

The $15 or $20 was just to cover shipping costs. They included a prepaid FedEx return label with the saddle so you could just slap the sticker on and drop it in a FedEx box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts