Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are expensive bike shorts worth the money?? I'm not talking about top of the line crazy expensive. But lots of bike shops around here have some for about $60-80. I can get these at GI Joes: http://www.joessports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33656&cp=2660363.713103.1764527) for $30... There's a century ride I've been thinking about and I've been told to get some real bike clothes... but I don't wanna spend a ton of money on them... Suggestions?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
My first pair of shorts I bought for my ride were some cheapo Insport shorts at Academy. I can tell you they're complete garbage. However, they sure gave my wife a good laugh, as she said that they make me look like I have a vagina.
I do own 2 pairs of Nashbar shorts that I've been very pleased with - the LQ8 (Liquicell), and their Stealth short. For a long ride, I'd pick the stealth short all day long. The LQ8 is great for short rides, but doesn't do a lot for chafing. I'd say spend $10 more and get those.
The Pearl Izumi shorts most riders wear have a stretchable chamois (The Stealth ones do too) that also cushions pretty well, and a very nice fabric.
I really do recommend trying them on, and feeling they way the chamois is built. If you do want to get those, go to a LBS that has some and see what they're like.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I recommend getting the best shorts that you can afford. I buy good to very good ones on sale. Don't buy as many pairs, wash them in delicate detergent, no fabric softner, cold water, hang dry and they should last a very very long time. This will help justify the price.

BTW-My cheapo ones are all gone now, I wasn't wearing them anymore anyway.

·
10-81
515 Posts
Check to see if there are stores selling Adidas cycling gear in your area. Adidas has decided to drop their cycling line so my LBS has all their Adidas gear marked 25% off. I have a couple pairs of their shorts and am happy with then so far.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
cheap short suck a$$. get some decent ones. well worth it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Had good luck with Nalini bibs that cost around $30.00 per pair.
Cheap Giordanas kinda sucked.
Santini's were real comfortable but stitching on the braces came out and the fell apart.
Hated the thick pad on Volers.
Boure pros are my all time favorite, kind of medium priced.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
In my opinion, the one area you don't want to go cheap is in the shorts/bibs.
In general inexpensive shorts will have a foam pad which retains moisture and leads to saddle sores. The foam will also not provide chaf protection. Look for a good antibacterial pad (the tag usually will guide you) and check the product reviews on this site.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It's really hard to generalize, since fit is kind of individual (your butt, your saddle, and the way you sit on it aren't like anybody else's). But I emphatically disagree with the assertion that you HAVE to get expensive shorts to be comfortable. I have used Performance Century shorts for years, usually finding them on sale for less than $40, and they've worked great, for me. YAMV

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Performance Elite shorts are great. Some of the best I've tried. They're all I've purchased for the last 5-6 years or so.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Performance Elite shorts are great. Some of the best I've tried. They're all I've purchased for the last 5-6 years or so.
+1 I own 2 pairs as well. They're like $60 right now, and if you have a performance membership - 10% back.

I also picked up a pair of Specialized bib shorts because my LBS sold me on them ($160!). I HONESTLY cannot tell the difference in comfort - not even a tiny bit. And I have a Specialized saddle, and the shorts/seat are supposed to form some perfect harmonious pair. Nope. Same as the Performance Elite :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
All depends on your backside. Midrange seems to offer a good range of features. No matter the short, if the saddler kills it's hard to work around that.

Speaking of, I picked up some Pace '08 Cat 2 closeout shorts for $35. I wasn't expecting much yet for my short loops, they've been decent comfortwise. There are some things I'd like "adjusted" and for the '09 they seem to have integrated that. At $89 regular, I think it is a bit steep but all depends on you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1 for Performance

I only own one pair of road biking shorts - Performance Century Gel. $40 and invaluable for me on long rides. I also have a couple pair mountain bike shorts, but they aren't as comfortable after 30-40 miles.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Don't buy "cheap" shorts. Buy quality shorts that are on sale. Cheap shorts will wear out fast and the chamois will suck..I'd rather have two pair of quality shorts than 4 pair of lousy shorts. Next to your saddle, it keeps your butt happy..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.