Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm betting there's an auto detailing product that is similar for far less money. I don't want anything that leaves a shiny finish on a matte carbon frame, but it needs to cut the dirt and grime Any thoughts?

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
303 protectant is recommended by Calfee for cleaning/protecting their matte frames.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
303 protectant is recommended by Calfee for cleaning/protecting their matte frames.
Calfee recommends using 303 protectant to protect 'non UV Clear Coated' frames (I'm pretty sure Calfee frames come with a UV protected clear coat).

http://calfeedesign.com/tech-papers/technical-white-paper/

Calfee White Paper said:
Non-coated frames can be protected from UV with wipe on, wipe off products such as 303 Protectant

Pedros Bike Lust Silicon Polish ($17 for 16oz at Amazon) and 303 Automotive Protectant ($14 at Amazon) are both UV protective coatings (similar to Armor All for your car interior). If your bike has a UV protective clear coat, it probably doesn't need this at all.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol on my matte carbon bike, followed by a cloth dampened with water only. You don't want to use polish, because that will shine. Not what you would want to keep a matte finish matte.

I would avoid any harsh cleaning chemicals.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I spend no extra money on bicycle cleaning detergent. I use the closest soap to my bucket: Dawn, dishwasher powder, car washing soap, or laundry detergent. It all works. No need to over think it.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I spend no extra money on bicycle cleaning detergent. I use the closest soap to my bucket: Dawn, dishwasher powder, car washing soap, or laundry detergent. It all works. No need to over think it.
Dishwasher powder has bleach. Probably not a good thing to use.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Dishwasher powder has bleach. Probably not a good thing to use.
How is some bleach that may be a component of dish washing detergent going to hurt your bike?

I don't think anyone is soaking their bike in 100% bleach for hours on end. The entire bike cleaning process is less than 15 minutes. Spray bike off, wipe with soapy rag, spray off, repeat if necessary. Done.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
One of the guys I ride with who is OCD about keeping his bike clean and has a matt finish uses magic erasers on his.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
How is some bleach that may be a component of dish washing detergent going to hurt your bike?

I don't think anyone is soaking their bike in 100% bleach for hours on end. The entire bike cleaning process is less than 15 minutes. Spray bike off, wipe with soapy rag, spray off, repeat if necessary. Done.
Use what you like. I just see no reason to use harsh chemicals that could possibly damage the finish when a simple mild soap, rubbing alcohol or even just water would be sufficient.

Not to mention where does that bleach go when you wash it off your bike? Not exactly enviro friendly.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Well, Bleach is not a 'cleaner'. It's a color remover.

Put it on your bike if you want to.

Maybe he wants to sterilize his bike. :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Bleach is very basic and will turn any fats into soap. Put some on your fingers and it will feel really slippery because it's turning the fats and oils on your skin into soap. Because it's a strong base, it's not the best thing to put your bike, unless you want to destroy DNA evidence, or kill bacteria and fungi.

I follow the dish detergent school of thought, use soft brushes rather than rub grit into the finish with a rag or sponge, and sprinkle rather than spray water on the bike. If you do this first, you'll need very little Bike Lust, Showroom Polish, (or Pledge, Armor All?, etc.) to put the finishing touch on. At least that's what I do when I clean the bike, which I do pretty infrequently, because it usually does more harm than good, IMO.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Use what you like. I just see no reason to use harsh chemicals that could possibly damage the finish when a simple mild soap, rubbing alcohol or even just water would be sufficient.

Not to mention where does that bleach go when you wash it off your bike? Not exactly enviro friendly.

First, I never said I wash my bike with bleach. You said dish detergent has bleach.

Additionally, you have no basis for your claim that the tiny amount of bleach in dishwashers detergent does any harm to a bike.

How is dish detergent anymore harsh than other household soaps?

Environmentally friendly - What are you even talking about?

There is a reason I ignore your posts. Shouldn't have bothered with this one either.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

First, I never said I wash my bike with bleach. You said dish detergent has bleach.

Additionally, you have no basis for your claim that the tiny amount of bleach in dishwashers detergent does any harm to a bike.

How is dish detergent anymore harsh than other household soaps?

Environmentally friendly - What are you even talking about?

There is a reason I ignore your posts. Shouldn't have bothered with this one either.
Please don't put words in my mouth. You said you use dishwasher powder, I said that has bleach in it and probably isn't the best thing for your bike. Read - dishwasher powder or dishwasher detergent is NOT dish soap (for hand washing).

Others here have also expressed concern with this method, but you choose to flame me exclusively.

You say you ignore my posts, but you sure are getting yourself off here with your trolling. Personally, I find your attitude amusing and feel a little sorry for you. You need to lighten up, dude.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have some Optimum No Rinse and Wax car wash solution:

Its pricier than Meguiar's Spray Detailer, but it cleans and waxes in one step (and no need to rinse!). Not sure how much of a shine it will produce, but if that's an issue, they have a no rinse wash only as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts