Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to help a friend who is has fallen on hard times and needs to start cyclocross racing to help him through this phase of life. Does anyone have experience on what could be the lowest priced cx frame and fork or complete rig possible? Thanks

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Wouldn't you look at used bikes, in that situation?

At the entry level, there are a LOT of bikes that can work, from old 27" wheeled touring bikes that can be had cheaply to Whatever Mountain Bike is In The Garage.

That's the neat part about CX...

lowpsihighspeed said:
I want to help a friend who is has fallen on hard times and needs to start cyclocross racing to help him through this phase of life. Does anyone have experience on what could be the lowest priced cx frame and fork or complete rig possible? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to explore all options for him and definately used. As for mtb's each time someone has come out to a practice race and been lapped, it never looks like fun grinding fat tire through mud and grass.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
lowpsihighspeed said:
I want to explore all options for him and definately used. As for mtb's each time someone has come out to a practice race and been lapped, it never looks like fun grinding fat tire through mud and grass.
I raced my first couple seasons on a MTB and won a few A races on it and did ok at nationals back when you could use them. A MTB would be fine, or something used as others ahve mentioned like a redline, kona, fuji or really any major brand.

There are also frames on bikeisland.com and built bikes on that bikes direct or whatever it is for a low price. you can buy a new frame and fork for less than $200 from a closeout place, i used one for a while and it was a great riding bike

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
On sale, the Performance Scattante frame/fork/headset can be had for pretty cheap. They also show up on Ebay now and then for really cheap. I've also seen some nice builds with the Nashbar X frame, but that is frame only. A used rigid mtn bike would work perfectly, throw some skinnier knobbies on and let it rip. I got flogged last year by a guy on a old rigid ti mtn frame and what looked like a steel fork. It is less about the bike, more about the fitness.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
"Cheapest lowest cost" = $5 garage sale special, carried over the shoulder cx style.

If he wants to actually pedal the thing, see previous posts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd second Scattante- right now they have $50 off 200+ dollars and you'd have a decent platform that be used for something else in case the guy bails. I'm likely to pick one up in the future.

Right now I have an old 27" touring frame converted. It isn't too heavy and is a pretty good ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts