Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some research and it looks like Shinybikes currently has the lowest prices on Campy 11 spd stuff. A Record 11 goes for $1340 and a Chorus 11 for $950 not including shipping. Anyone know of a cheaper place. Bike24, Comobike,Wiggle, PBK, and Total Cycling are currently not cheaper. Any others? I can't get Ribble's groupsets to populate on their website and I've read about some issues where their system may have been hacked. Anyone know of a place cheaper than Shiny? So far as I can tell, they are the cheapest and I may place an order this weekend. Thanks all.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Ribble might be slightly cheaper when they have a 15% sale going on, but right now there's only a 10% discount.

I bought most of my Chorus Gruppo from Ribble, and I recall I had to place the components separately into the shopping cart -- not a big deal.

With Shiny Bikes, you may want to confirm in advance their shipping method. If UPS, some have been frustrated with UPS charging high additional "brokerage fees", and flat-out wrong import duties ... must be a major revenue soruce for UPS :rolleyes:

With government postal services, that is much less likely to happen. My last order from Shiny Bikes was shipped via the UK & USA postal services. No customs duties or brokerage fees :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Do you have to pay for import duty ?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
no...

zamboni said:
Do you have to pay for import duty ?

There should be no import duty on a group.

I avoid places like comobike that ship by UPS. UPS flies into the US at a location that seems to charge duties when they are not warranted and UPS charges additional brokerage fees on top of that.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Be sure to pull the trigger soon. We've (the US) cranked up the printing press and the dollar will lose strength rapidly. Expect to see the British pound gain 20% over the next few months unless they too start printing money.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Is probikekit is a good place to purchase ?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Probikekit is a good place to buy. They may not have the lowest prices but you have to weigh it against the free shipping to see what is your best buy. Last fall, I ordered parts from PBK and Competitive (expensive but good sales) on a saturday within ten minutes of each other. The PBK parts got to my house on thursday, Competitive on friday. Competitive is in Arkansas.

Be careful with your credit card when ordering from Europe. After your purchase, be vigilant about checking your credit card history. Myself and others have had issues with fraud after ordering from European sources. I can't associate any fraud with my PBK purchases, but it pays to be vigilant.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
SwiftSolo said:
Be sure to pull the trigger soon. We've (the US) cranked up the printing press and the dollar will lose strength rapidly. Expect to see the British pound gain 20% over the next few months unless they too start printing money.
Absolutely a risk ... the GBP climbed from about $1.39 to $1.45 as soon as the US Gov't announced it was going to "buy" T-bills from itself :rolleyes: .

The Chinese Gov't may also pressure the US to not let the USD depreciate too much ... the Chinese are holding 100s of Billions, if not Trillions, of USD currency reserves & T-Bills ... they have to buy stuff on the world markets, now that stuff will cost the chinese a lot more, hurting their economy.

The angry mobs protesting the AIG bonuses do not understand that the Chinese effectively "own" America's ass, and Obama's misguided policies will just make it worse. It's much more convenient for the political class to focus anger onto AIG, and away from the looming, gov't-created disaster of currency devaluations and debts owed to China.

BTW, charts of USD/GBP exhange rate:
http://www.google.com/finance?q=GBPUSD

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GBPUSD=X#chart10:symbol=gbpusd=x;range=5d;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined
article on USA's indebtedness to China:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/200801/fallows-chinese-dollars

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
zamboni said:
Is probikekit is a good place to purchase ?
Good prices, fast, and reliable -- if they have it in stock.

PBK inventory tends to be hit-or-miss, and they don't let you purchase back-ordered items ... it has to be in-stock.

Once you've set the USA as the ship-to country, PBK will discount another 5% off, if you apply the voucher/coupon code USARBR (or is it RBRUSA ?).

To add to the comparison shopping confusion, PBK shows prices without the UK's 15% VAT tax, while other UK websites don't deduct the 15% until you are actually buying the shopping basket.

But, many of the websites do appear to show prices without 15% VAT, if you set the ship-to country as USA or other non-EU country.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Appreciated the advise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the warranty carry over to the states as well? I have read in a few forums that PBK has shipped product without a receipt and charged duties on products. From what I have read and understand about Campy's warranty you need to have a receipt and contact a campy service center from the country of purchase? Has anyone from the states purchased from the UK and used the warranty in the states?

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
T-Dog said:
For sure, you won't have any recourse for a warranty issue. With UK retailers, at least you can ship the item to them. AFAIK, they are all authorized Campy dealers.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lickton's is about $300 cheaper for Campy Chorus 11 sp than bikesale. Didn't check for Record, but Lickton's usually has the best prices by far for Campy in the US.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Just bought a Campy Super Record crank for $660 with no tax plus free freight.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
SwiftSolo said:
Considering the UK had a failed Gov bond offering two weeks ago I would not hold your breath on a pound rebound. If the US economy begins to rebound in Q1/10 the Pound and Euro could go on sale.

The cheapest place is http://www.maestro-uk.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts