Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought some rollers and was thinking how nice it would be to have an extra set of cheap wheels and tires to just throw on for when I use the rollers so I don't have to keep switching out tires. (I could care less about weight, etc.), I just have no idea how much a cheap set of 700X23 rims should cost (used or new). Also, would there be a problem switching between a 27T and 25T cassette? I don't usually shift much when on the rollers.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just use what is on my bike.
Rollers have almost no wear on them as far as I can tell.
Its not like being pushed down on a resistance unit of a trainer

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
No point to it

Just as flying said, there's really no point in having a set of roller wheels. Rollers aren't hard on your tires like resistance trainers can be. This time of year, you might want to consider cheaper tires for outdoor riding as well, though the cost/mile for tires is pretty low regardless - around a penny a mile. You're probably not riding the rollers enough to make any difference, let alone to make it worthwhile to buy a new set of wheels.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Fully agree. .

Kerry Irons said:
Just as flying said, there's really no point in having a set of roller wheels. Rollers aren't hard on your tires like resistance trainers can be.
I've put many, many many miles on my Michelins and have noticed virtually no additional wear. So I just use my regular wheelset. Wow. Another advantage to using rollers!
;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts